28

"Niklaus!"

I turn my head, slowly drifting away from the fireplace that was giving off heat. I set down my cup of tea and walk towards the sound of Klaus' name.

"Elijah?" I ask, confused. "I thought you left with Rebekah...?" I walk over to him as he continues to search around the living room with his eyes.

"Yes. You see, a bit of the plan has changed. Have you seen my brother?" Elijah asks me and I nod. "Yeah, he said he's going to New Orleans for a few days because some witch was plotting a move against him. He told me to stay here... I didn't think much of it."

"New Orleans, you say?" he asks and I nod, once again. "Pack your bags. You're coming with me." he tells me.

I furrow my eyebrows, "If I'm not involved, I don't have to go." I say, not wanting to leave my friends and I did not want to miss another day of school since I am about to graduate soon. I also have Elena to take care of, who's currently locked up in a cellar.

"I have a feeling it's everything to do with you. So, come on. We'll be leaving shortly." he says before flashing out of the house.

§

My heels click against the New Orlean's ground. Elijah was able to convince me to go, not like I had a choice or anything.

There was no sign of Klaus and it began to worry me. Of course I knew he'll be able to protect himself, but still. He did text me a few hours ago asking how I was, but that was it. He doesn't even know I'm here.

Elijah was able to find some contact between a witch Sophie Deveraux and her sister Jane-Anne, who just died and was the witch who was contacting Klaus in the first place.

So now, Elijah is practically dragging me to the back of some bar. "It'd be much easier if you did not struggle beneath my hands, Maya."

"If you'd let go, then I wouldn't struggle." I tell him and after a brief moment, his hands are free from my arm. "Thank you."

Not even a second later, he grabs my arms once again and speeds both of us against a wall. He motions me to be quiet and I do so, listening closely to the voices that were nearby.

"The doors work, you know." a woman says, who I assume is Sophie, with candles in front of her. "You're doing magic?" a man asks and I could tell he's a vampire.

"I'm praying to my dead sister. Go ahead, pay your respects." Sophie responds, a hint of sarcasm lingering in her voice, turning back to the other guy, who speeds right in front of her. "Don't make this a thing, Sophie. The hybrid was looking for Jane Anne—Marcel wants to know why."

"Oh, that sounds like witch business. I'd say ask her yourself, but I guess you can't, seeing as Marcel killed her."

I give Elijah a look and my eyes travel down to the ground. I remember Klaus telling me stories about his first time in New Orleans. He also told me about Marcel, but I thought he was dead.

I hear a whoosh right besides me and Elijah disappears. I walk a few feet forward, but stop once I hear something fall to the ground, a heart.

The second man from before gets thrown against the brick wall and it's not long before a stake is shoved across his chest. I raise my eyebrows and step towards Elijah, who straightens his coat. "I'm Elijah. You heard of me?"

Sophie nods fervently. "Yes."

"So, why don't you tell me what business your family has with my brother?"