Chapter 11

(A bit rushed, sorry for any mistakes I missed...)

Samantha

As Tristan, Ariana, and I approached the bon fire, the butterflies were invading my stomach. How would people react to my return? Was it true what Devin said about them not being angry with me? Was I about to be stoned?

I know the latter was a bit dramatic, but I was just so unsure of the reception I would receive that it had my thoughts all over the place. We spotted Devin on the little stage set up in front of the bon fire and Travis was at his side. I noticed a heavily pregnant Jennifer off to the side and avoided eye contact with her for the moment. I had to leap over this first hurdle before I tackled that one. Sensing our arrival, Devin’s head snapped in our direction and a smile lit his face. It made me a little uncomfortable to see that reaction from him, knowing Tristan would have seen it too, but I continued forward with my daughter to take the position on the side of Devin that Travis wasn’t occupying

I had to leave Tristan at the stairs, and knowing it wouldn’t be right to exchange a kiss before the pack was made aware of what was going on, we settled for a hand squeeze in reassurance. I wasn’t sure who needed it more, Tristan or myself. Once I was next to Devin, the quiet murmurs taking place amongst the crowd ceased, and all attention was on us, or more specifically my daughter and I.

“Members of the Shadowland Pack, I have great news for you today. Your alpha female has returned, and brought with her my daughter and your future leader, Ariana. I know that you are all aware of the events that occurred, resulting in the loss of Samantha, and I would like to apologize once again for causing that. I led with my human instincts, rather than my wolf, and it’s a mistake I will never make again. I hold all the responsibility in my hands, and want you to hold no blame towards Samantha. She was looking out for our daughter, and in essence your future, and for that, she should be amended, not chastised. I hope you will all welcome her back with the respect she deserves, and give me a second chance to be a better alpha to you. With Samantha back by my side, I know that won’t be hard to do.” Devin announced, reminding me why, despite his bad choices, he was an amazing alpha. I was also touched by what he said. 

There was a rumble in the crowd as everyone reacted to his announcement.

“Quiet down, please. I’m not finished. We will also have a guest staying with us, you may know him from Samantha’s former pack, Tristan Redwood. He is Samantha’s husband.”

At this there were numerous gasps amongst the pack members as well as incredulous looks. I expected Devin to turn them against Tristan, but he surprised me with his next words, “He is welcome here, no matter the strange situation. He took care of my mate and family, when I wasn’t there to do it, and for that I will always be grateful to him. Do I like that my mate is married to another, and a human at that, of course not, but in order to move forward with the best interests of the pack in mind, I must accept it. I want you all to accept it as well. It will in no way affect any of you directly, nor will it disrupt the pack. He will be opening another branch of his construction company here, which will mean more jobs for our fellow werewolves. His being here will benefit the pack, so he is to be treated with the respect he deserves. That is an order. Any one causing harm to him will be severely punished.” 

You could have knocked me over with a feather, that’s how blown away I was by what Devin was saying. In that moment, I saw the fair, gentle, and wise man that I fell in love with. I was happy to know he hadn’t lost that part of himself in all the drama. He then turned to me and asked quietly so no one but us could hear, “Would you like to say something?”