Chapter 2

house above^^

*******************************

I felt hands on my shoulders, and I remain still. They couldn't know that I was conscious. "Avianna?! Are you awake?!" Letting my brain process the question, I open my eyes to look into the face of Katrina. Oh, it was her. Finally looking around I realized that I was in the car, and I ran my hands over the leather. She raised her eyebrows at me in a silent question, and I gave her a blank stare. We both knew that she didn't like me, so what did the witch want? I never expected her to directly address me without hitting me. 

Sighing, the social worker gave me another look, was she going to tell me something or not? "We are here Avianna." Oh. Here. Had I slept that long? I was told that the lady lived at least an hour from the airport, and I don't remember any of the car ride, so I must've just slept the entire time. I usually have a lot of trouble sleeping, and I often get interrupted by unwanted activities, so this was the most solid sleep I had gotten in a long time. 

I must've spaced out, because Katrina was snapping her fingers directly in front of my face, as if all she saw was the shell of a human, oh wait, that's me!

"Hello? Anybody home?"  Blinking slowly, I merely stared at her, and she took that as me being ready to get out. "Well, it is time for you to meet your new guardian Avianna", Katrina seemed more irritable than usual, and I didn't realize she could get any worse.

I made a move to exit the rental car, I guess she was sticking around for a little while, and as soon as I opened the door I was assaulted with beautiful coastal air. The wind whipped my hair around, making visibility close to impossible, so I quickly tied it back in an attempt to keep it out of my face. wincing when my nail caught it the wrong way. Katrina was already at the trunk and grabbing my bags, she threw them on the concrete almost forcefully. She seemed very excited to be rid of me, then again, I was unwanted almost everywhere. I had no doubt in my mind that this woman would hate me too. 

Grabbing the bags off the ground and slinging them onto my shoulders, I noted the fact that Katrina wasn't helping me yet again. As I trudged up the flower-lined walkway, I studied the house. Coated in light blue paint, the house was breathtaking with the wrap around porch and wooden detailing. I had always been a fan of Victorian style homes, when I was a kid I was convinced that these houses held princesses. I know now that fairy tales aren't real and there is no prince waiting to fix me up and save me.

I was such an idiot. 

Katrina was tapping her foot at the door, waiting for me before she knocked. Maybe if she actually helped me instead of standing there I would already be at the door! Reaching the door I glanced at Katrina, and she glared at me before landing three solid knocks on the polished mahogany.

I held my breath as the door creaked open, revealing a beautiful woman with soft brown hair and matching eyes. She looked kind, but that didn't mean anything, looks can be deceiving. She scanned her porch, and her eyes seemed to light up even more(if that is even possible), when they land on me. Watching cautiously, I keep my face as impassive as possible when she breaks into a smile and walks to me, her arms outstretched, was she trying to hug me? I stiffened as I felt her arms bringing me to her chest. She was a shorter woman, her head rested at my nose, a rare feat at my height of 5'2. 

"Are you Avianna?!", her squeal was so  delighted, I don't know how a woman this happy was allowed to exist. I nodded slowly, maybe if I didn't make any sudden movements she would calm down. The woman looked at me quizzically for a moment, then Katrina was by my side.

"I sincerely apologize Ms.Victoria, did I forget to mention that our dear Avianna is mute?"

I look at Katrina incredulously, so that is why the lady wanted me, she didn't have a clue as to how damaged I am. Sighing, I begin the trek to the car, but a delicate hand catches my shoulder, effectively stopping me and spinning me around. Before I knew it I was crushed into her chest, the luggage hit the pavement with solid thuds. This felt so foreign, so impossible, the raw love she was sending was undeniably odd. She doesn't even know me! 

"Aw Sugar, I can tell we will have a great time together, I can do enough talking for the both of us!" Her smile didn't dim when she figured out I wouldn't, rather I couldn't, speak. For the first time in a while, I felt something warm in my chest. I felt hope-well that is a rather sudden change in mindset.

"Now let's get all of this luggage inside, I already set up your room, but you can repaint however you want! I have a daughter that is about seven years younger than you, she is over at a friends house, and a son that just started kindergarten! I am sure that you will love them both, we also have a dog, are you allergic? I put some food out on the hall table, feel free to take what you want!" This woman never seemed to be silent, she chattered on as she carried a suitcase, me trailing behind. Katrina was left on the steps, and she stood there, but I heard her footsteps pattering behind me after some time.

Victoria gave me a full-fledged tour of the house, introducing me to every tile, baseboard, and window. Struggling to feign indifference, I could feel a corner of my mouth lifting without my consent. I had never been accustomed to such modest beauty, each antique adding immeasurable worth to the home. "...And here's your room!" Victoria seemed to exclaim everything, not necessarily shouting, just a very full sound. Looking past her, I was stunned by the safe haven before me.

"I hope that you like it, my daughter Claire worked on the details for hours. She is really excited to meet you." She said something else after that, but I was too caught up in the soothing atmosphere of my new room. My new room. Walking past her, I stared at the walls, hypnotized by the black swirls sprouting from the baseboards, spiraling to the ceiling. A queen-sized bed lines the wall, topped with a white comforter and assorted grey, black, and white pillows. On the opposite wall, there was a beautiful wooden vanity, ornate with gold trim. A lovesac is propped up against a bookshelf in the corner, and it seems as though they left room for me to make it my own. Are these people insane?

I turn to the vanity mirror and stare at my eyes, noticing the smallest flicker of hope. Maybe this will work, on that note I turn to Victoria and offer a small smile as a peace offering.

***

Thanks for reading this chapter, I will probably stop writing authors notes as the story develops a bit more, so bear with me.

I recently cleaned out my stories on Wattpad, deleting countless drafts and unpublishing some of the less popular and more boring stories, so the stories remaining are the ones that I hope to update more consistently. I don't really have a goal for this chapter since I have never really written for recognition, but I love critiques (please understand the difference between constructive criticism and insults) so if you notice a grammar error, feel free to point it out!

Vote

Comment

Critique

~Experiment51