Chapter 25

Avianna

I don't understand volleyball.

I have never been athletically inclined to anything but running. Any sport that includes a ball is out of the question for my awful hand-eye coordination, I think soccer is the only exception, but that is because I have really good balance, except for when I don't. Volleyball seems so pointless and I don't understand how Kaylee is able to beat all of us into the ground. She serves so effortlessly and we can never seem to get past her. I am a runner, but her speed is unbelievable.

I looked around the court for a moment and stifled laughter at Logan's awestruck expression. Apparently, Kaylee has an admirer, and I know that Kaden has caught on by the way he is silently taunting his best friend. While I was distracted by the wordless interaction, Kaylee managed to serve a ball to me. Naturally, I deflected it...

with my face.

I could hear the crack and felt pain spread through my face, followed by several gasps and a wave of nausea. Running to one of the trash cans, I heaved up my breakfast and tried to fight the static that was threatening to overtake my mind. I noticed red liquid dripping into the bin, and realized that my nose must be bleeding. My shock at the pain was enough for the static to take over and for the world to start bleeding into odd shapes and colors until everything disappeared. So I waited.

**********

"Hey Finch, it is time to get up," I cracked my eyes open and the first thing that I noticed was the sand coating my body, oh, a shirtless Kaden was hovering over me too, but the sand was ruthless.

I gave him a weak smile and heard people rushing over, but what stood out the most was a blur of pink.

"Oh my gosh Avi, I am so sorry!" Kaylee's face was filled with panic and remorse, and I attempted to laugh it off, but nothing came out save it were a few strangled gasps; I forgot that I couldn't speak. After that revelation, I attempted to wave away her sorrow, I wasn't hurt that badly.

"I was actually aiming for it to go right past your head, but you moved at the last moment. I didn't mean for you to get hit!" Her voice was high pitched and sounded a little delirious, causing my head to become a pin cushion. Each sentiment dug another needle into my tender scalp, and I wanted the words to stop.

"Hey Kaylee, give her some room, she probably has a concussion," Logan to the rescue. He gently grabbed Kaylee's arm, leading her off to the side a little bit, taking some of our other friends with. Soon it was only Aiden, Kaden, Luke and I. Aiden excused himself so that he could go and find Ms. Victoria, leaving me in the care of Brownie and Cactus.

"You ready to sit up? We have some water, but we want your body to start circulating the fluids properly again," Kaden held a bottle in his hand and I struggle to slowly sit up, relieved to feel Kaden's hand on my back as he supports my weight.

The haze in my head was still prominent, though I was starting to think a little more, and the prick of the needles lessened when I began to sip the water. I couldn't gulp it down because my body would probably reject the sudden fluids. I knew that I must pace myself so that I don't start spilling my stomach acid on the sand.

"You feel any better?" Luke spoke up, which was still unusual to all of us, and I looked at him making sure to keep my eyes open as I nod. Kaden looked a little bit unconvinced, but he had no time for further questions as a dog barreled right past him.

I felt something warm and wet slide up and down my face, and I scrunched my nose at the dog's behavior. He was not yipping like normal, but instead, Icee seemed very intent on taking care of the side of my face from temple to chin.