Chapter 4

After we finished preparing Chris and Claire's lunch, Victoria and I sat down at the table, almost ready to send the children to friends. Saturdays were usually the worst day for me, no school no church, just 'family bonding time'. They took the bonding part a little too literally. Victoria said that Chris and Claire played with some neighbors down the street almost every day after school. I tuned her out a little bit, but she might have said something about a kid there that was close to my age.

"Avi? Will you watch Icee while I'm gone?" Snapping my head up from my plate I was met with Chris' warm brown eyes. I nodded subtly and his face split into a grin, he really loved this dog. 

"Avianna, I am going to run some errands while they are at the friends, can you stay here and pick them up at 4? The address is on the refrigerator", Victoria had a bad habit of saying everything in one breath, it was slightly concerning to me, nevertheless, I offered her a nod. 

"Great! Let's go kids! See you for dinner Avianna!" With that they were out the door, leaving me all alone in a house of wonders. I am not very fond of sitting still, so I stand up and stretch. There must be some type of hiking or jogging trail around here. Feeling rather invigorated at the thought of running, I take the stairs by two's, almost slipping with every step I take. Getting into my room I begin sorting through my clothes, trying to find my workout getup, which was basically any tank and shorts. After grabbing the articles of clothing I retreat into the bathroom and change, sliding into the slightly revealing attire.

***

Staring at the mirror, I cringe when I realize how much more I have to cover up in order to go out of the house. My upper arms and legs were usually covered, so naturally, they had more scars and bruises than my forearms and face. Grabbing the concealer, I hold onto the idea that the bruises will fade, and begin covering up the splotches of despair, one by one. Pulling my hair into a ponytail and grabbing some Nike tennis shoes, I race back down the stairs, my fingers skimming the banister, but never actually grabbing the wood. 

Coming to a halt in the kitchen, I remembered Icee, so I had to turn around and search for the lug of fur. I have literally no way to call for this dog, I was never able to whistle, so I was trying to make noises with other objects, like books and doors, and the occasional breathy screech. Nope, still can't form a word. After five minutes, I finally found the hypergiant in Chris' room on the floor, he looked so cute while he was asleep. Sneaking closer to the beast was no simple feat, it required the skill of a ninja, a skill I lack. Icee was up and alert two seconds after I had stepped foot in the room-I would be such a crappy assassin. 

After locating a leash, I manage to get the freakishly huge dog out the door, and we set off in search of a trail, Icee nips at my hand like a puppy, matching my eager demeanor. The forest behind the house is eerily silent, so every time my foot snaps a twig, I flinch. We walk through the woods in awe, and I thank my lucky stars that the dog lacks the ability to speak English.  I enjoy every moment of the company where I'm not expected to maintain a conversation.

As we walk side by side, I can't help but realize how much I have missed being able to go out whenever I please. By now the birds have started their morning tunes, and Icee was becoming restless. He wanted to run with me. Smiling down at the Husky, I accept the challenge and we began to fly through the trees.

***

Freedom is such an odd concept, I know that we use it frivolously in the US, but the word itself can be used more leniently, or more strictly. I can say that beyond a shadow of a doubt, it was at this moment that I felt free. The wind whipped my black hair too and fro, my sight completely blocked out by the black locks fluttering through my field of vision. I have gotten so out of shape, and my heart aches for the poor dog that I am forcing to slow down due to my inability to breathe. Sorry, Icee. Slowly down to a softer speed, I allow myself to actually absorb the scenery.

The trees were tall; foliage made up of strong evergreens like Pine Trees. I have always had a soft spot for Pine Trees, don't ask why, because not only would I never answer aloud, but I genuinely have no clue. We walked in silence-obviously-until the house entered our line of view once again. Icee saw the deck first, and tore off, nearly taking my arm with him, I shake my head and giggle every so slightly, before following the hyper husky into the house. 

Closing the door, I fall to the ground, my legs finally give out. According to my phone and the fit app I installed, Icee and I ran eight miles. Eight miles. Smiling to myself I yank my hair out of the hazardous ponytail I had rushed it into hours before and made my way to the shower. I smelled worse than Icee. Icee's a DOG. Grabbing the clothes I had ripped off before my split-second decision to go for a run, I enter the bathroom and close the door, stepping into the shower with minimal difficulty considering the trauma I just put my poor legs through. 

Showers and I have a love-hate relationship. I love being clean, but the showers wash off my make-up, and I hate what I see. Sometimes I completely close my eyes in the shower, in some type of attempt to make myself believe that I am not broken, that I am not hurting, but the scars are still there. Some of the bruises on my body will still be visible in a month, and the scars will last forever. Each and every memory will haunt me, and the shower adds some more realistic visuals. After mechanically washing my body, I step out of the shower, shutting off the tap behind me; now I have to reapply all of my make-up.

***

Time passes by so slowly when there is nothing to do. I used to work 24/7, but now that I am here, there is nothing to do except wait to pick up Chris and Clare at 4:00. I sat down at 2:00, it is 3:40, and I haven't moved. Wait, I can start walking now! Jumping off of the couch I rush to the front door, Icee follows at my heels, his leash already hanging out of his mouth. This dog is so flipping presumptuous! How would he know if I was going to take him or not! For all he knows, I was going to leave him all alone...sitting on the floor...sad........... Okay yeah, I would never do that. Clipping the leash into place we open the door and step back out into the world. This time though, this time we allow ourselves to be seen. 

***

Hey y'all! I should have the next update in soon, I am finally getting somewhere, so I apologize if you think the book is too slow. I don't write a lot of books where the main characters meet within the first two sentences(lies). Sorry (not really).

Vote

Comment

Follow

AND

CRITIQUE!!

~Experiment51