Chapter 15

Avianna's POV

I woke up to a strangled scream. Cracking an eye open, I was astonished at the sight in front of me. Kaden was restraining a woman that was desperately grabbing at me, and I could tell that she was livid. The woman seemed to be in her early 40s, and I am almost positive that she is Kaden's mother.

"Mom please calm down"

I am a psychic! Though I guess they have the same eyes, nose, and hair... Nope, I am just awesome. A crazy glint settles into her eyes and I begin searching for an escape, then I notice that Lanie is nowhere to be seen. I quickly hop off of the couch to search for the toddler, screw that woman, she can fight me later. Kaden is still struggling with his mother when I stroll right on out of the room.

Thanking the heavens that the house is smaller than most, I take a left down the only hallway, and poke my head inside of the bathroom door. There was no giggling from behind the curtains, thank goodness though because that would've been something straight out of a horror movie. After seeing no movement, I shuffle down to the next door and open it.

A bed dominated the middle of the room, but I could see tufts of brown hair moving around on the other side. Walking around the bed, I hefted the child onto my hip, and smile into her serene blue eyes. A screaming fit was taking place down the hall, but Lanie seemed unfazed, so I follow her lead.

We enter the living room together, and I wasn't shocked to see Kaden's mother still struggling to get out of his grasp. As soon as her gaze fell on me again, she started thrashing and cursing, hurling threats at the supposed intruder. I hold Lanie tighter and look at Kaden, unsure of what I should do next.

"Why don't you take Lanie outside with you Avianna, I'll be out in a second and we can drive to your house so you can change for school."

Oh yeah, school. I hate school.

Nodding my head, I walk out the front door with Lanie, trying to ignore the screeches behind me. I am still wearing his clothes, but I know that Victoria will be fine with it since she knows exactly where I am. Lanie seems content in my arms and doesn't protest as we walk out of the door.

I had only taken a couple steps down the driveway when the sound of rusty hinges hit my ears. Turning around, I was thankful to see Kaden without his mother, a woman who did not seem pleased to see me.

"Finch are you okay? I'm sorry that you had to see that, let's just get going." He seemed apologetic, so I nodded, and opened the door to the backseat of his pickup, buckling Lanie into her car seat. After situating the toddler and clambering into the passenger side, we were off.

The clock read 5:30, and I was stunned by the early time. I would've asked Kaden about it, but I cannot speak, and he doesn't have time to read anything while driving.

"I loaded your stuff in the back of the truck last night after you fell asleep, so don't worry about that. I am really sorry about my Mom, she's just been having a hard time", his voice sounds more unsure than usual; almost like it is a pre-planned script that just doesn't seem up to date anymore.

I nod at him, and he smiles a little. The corner of his lips flick upwards, and his eyes are a little squinted, momentarily giving him crows feet.

"So Finch, are you ready for another day at school? Maybe I can be civil towards you this time", he sounds optimistic, and I let a breathy laugh escape, but it sounds more like a strangled cough. Darn these vocal chords.

He seems to understand what I had intended to do because his smile deepened in intensity. Just a little though, almost like he didn't want me to see him enjoying my company.