Chapter 20

Something is eating away at my little Finch, and she doesn't seem willing to share her troubles, and I am not ashamed to admit that this frustrates me. I still don't understand why she affects me so much, but I have basically come to terms with it and now I just wish she would fully let me in.

She didn't seem as active at lunch, and her conversation with Kaylee was a tad suspicious, but I suppose that I will have to wait for her to tell me. That, or I need to find a somewhat sensitive way to coax the truth out of her. That sounds so twisted, but I want to be able to support her and care for her.

I feel like her more guarded behavior began after she and Kaylee went away for a private chat, but I doubt that either of them would be willing to share the subject of their interaction. I start to wring my hands as I wait for the last bell of the day to ring and signal the blessed weekend and sweet relief from this glorified prison.

As soon as the bell rings, I rush over to my Finch who was just starting to pack up her things. It never ceased to shock me that she was genuinely interested in learning Spanish. I already know the language fairly well since I grew up in a Latino neighborhood, and my father was an immigrant from Argentina. Spanish was merely an easy A for me, but maybe I could use it to get closer to Avianna.

Kaylee was absent today, Avianna told us that she was out with strep, and I was thoroughly amused when Logan's face twisted up with worry. He seemed to be developing a thing for the feisty girl with pink hair, and it was a sight to behold. I took advantage of Kaylee's absence and approached Avi's desk with pure hope.

"Hey Finch, the guys and I are going to work on the car after school today, do you want to tag along?" I tried to mask my eagerness out of hope that I wouldn't appear to be desperate, but something about her was so intriguing, and I couldn't deny that her presence was like a drug to me. I just wanted more.

Her eyes lit up at the mention of the Stingray, and she had her whiteboard out in the blink of an eye.

'I don't have anything better to do, so sure,' she shrugs her shoulders and feigns indifference, causing me to fight a laugh. Sometimes she could be so transparent.

"Well then, let's go! You can text Victoria on the way over there, I am sure that she won't mind," I grab her bag and sling it over my shoulder, trying to lighten her load a little. My actions don't go unnoticed and I detect a faint blush on her cheek. 

"We are going to make a pit stop at my house though since we have to pick up Lanie, and don't worry, Logan is going to ride with Luke," I inform her as we exit the building and get into the vehicle, my words only elicit a nod for her. Then I remembered that she was carrying stuff and didn't have the hands to respond to me.

I carefully set her things in the back and we begin the drive to my house, which isn't too far from the school. I attempt to fill the silence with lighthearted banter, and I feel fairly proud whenever I can see her smile from the corner of my eye. 

When we reach my home, I perform the ritual of opening her door and helping her down, and she grins at my help. Looking at her face more reminded me that I needed to confront her about the scars again and check on them. I hated the idea of her being the only one to tend to them. I open the screen door with one hand, as my other hand was still occupied by my Finch. We try to be as silent as possible, passing my mother who was passed out on the couch. I didn't want a repeat of Avianna's first encounter with her, and I thought back to early on when she was just barely spiraling into her episodes.

My one-year-old sister's chubby hands held my own with a vice-like grip and I grinned at the ball of sunshine. She had the dark skin and chocolate hair of most Latinos, but she inherited my mother's striking blue eyes. We were still playing when I heard the screen door slam, and smoke invaded my nostrils. I always made sure to do that outside, since I didn't want the second-hand smoke to invade my poor sister's lungs.

"Kaden, where is your father?! I need to talk with him and he won't answer his phone!" 

I look up at her in confusion, Dad was no longer around, he had died in one of the many shootings a year and a half ago on his way home from work, there had been a funeral service and everything. Mom had been standing right next to me, holding her large belly as the tears streamed down her face, mourning for the father who would never see his baby girl.

"What are you talking about Mom, don't you remember that Papa is up with the angels?" My worried brown eyes meet her frantic blue ones, and I watch helplessly as they take on a more menacing shine.

"I am not up for your games young man, now why don't you tell me where your father is, and why in the world there is a baby on my floor." Her words seemed so sure of themselves, and I wanted to give the poor woman a reality check, but she was starting to look dangerous.

"Mama, Papa is dead. He has been dead for a year and a half, and this is your daughter Lanie," those were the last words I was able to get out before she lunged at me.

I was snapped out of my shoulder by a petite hand, and I look over to see Avianna with a worried expression painted on her lovely face. She is holding Lanie with one arm, and I give her a reassuring smile before leading her back outside, taking the toddler as we reach the truck. After we were all strapped in, we set off for Logan's home.

*********

Ha! Two updates in one night! I actually took a part of the chapter out and put it into the next one so that I could get this published, and I think that it really made the whole thing flow easier.

If you have any funny one-liners or conversations that you would like me to include them in the guys' witty banter, put them in the comments and if I include your idea I will dedicate the chapter to you!

Don't forget to

Vote

Comment

& Critique!

Love Y'all!

~Experiment51