Chapter 9

Why does avoiding people have to be so difficult? Honestly, if I bolt out of a classroom to avoid interacting with you, I probably don't want to sit down and chat with you! What makes certain humans so stupid or rude? If I had a dollar for-

Schnitzel, I started mind ranting again.

"Mutie, do you have a pencil?" Blondie started jabbing a pencil into my side, successfully derailing my train of thought, and any focus that I had on the board. I look at the pointy weapon that had been assaulting my fractured rib a second ago, and then up to him.

"Not for me, for that numb-nut", He pointed at the Stoic Brownie, who merely shrugged at me. Returning my attention back to Blondie, I shake my head. I never bring extra supplies to school, I also never lose anything at school.

"Sorry Luke, write with a stick or something." Could the teacher not hear any of this? With Ginger glaring at me and Blondie poking me, I was getting more than a little pissed, though you couldn't tell by my facial expression. Grabbing my phone I text a simple message to Mr. Q, "SOS".

Mr. Q seized all motion at the board and checked his phone, giving no mind to the curious class, "Sorry guys, that was the front office, Avianna, they need to see you." Like I said before, I like this man. After quickly packing up my stuff, I exit the room, grabbing a pass off of Mr. Q's desk. I could feel the guys glaring at my retreating back. Sorry not sorry.

The hallways were silent besides the occasional pitter patter of footsteps, more likely than not a student using the restroom. The teachers that I ran into merely nodded at me before hurrying away, I assume to the break room. I was not quite certain where to go now that I has escaped Physics, but there had to be someplace that would speak to me.

While taking another lap around the building, a pair of red doors caught my eye. The shade on the door frames was akin to a firetruck, which was a welcome contrast to the dull gray on every other door. After cautiously opening the slat of wood, I slide into the seemingly abandoned classroom.

Wires hung from the ceiling, each one held a picture or painting. Similar pieces of art lined the walls, each depicting a different tragic scene. Why did a room have to be so depressing? Maybe someone had accommodations too, and this was a healthy outlet for whatever challenges they faced in life. Whatever this room is, there is no denying the intrigue that comes with the uncharted territory, and I had nothing better to do than sit in a corner and draw.

After the class bell rang, I looked down at my handiwork, a picture of two girls. One was slightly younger than the other and had little ribbons in her pigtails, and the other was another youth that looked around eight. They were smiling, and I wish that I could return to that time when everything was so simple, before my sister was ripped away from me.

*************

I was able to meet back up with Kaylee before we headed to the next torture site, AP Calculus. This was another class that Kaylee and I did not share, so after she introduced me to the teacher, she blended back into the hallways, leaving me stranded. The teacher seemed to be a stick in the mud, or rather a thorn in my side. A short stout woman stood at the whiteboard, and I could tell that she was going to make me introduce myself. Ms. Harold scowled at me when Kaylee exchanged pleasantries, I don't think she likes the idea of a mute in her class.

I sat in a secluded seat in the corner of the room, apparently, nobody wanted the rundown desk. After running my fingers over the graffiti tarnished wood a few times, I heard somebody clear their throat. Once I looked up, I realized that they were clearing their throat at me. Here I thought they were coughing up a hairball.

"Hey there, you must be new. That is my desk, so I would love it if you could move yourself to another seat", the ticked off dirty blonde was scowling at me, though her glares did not make me very understanding. I was told that this desk was unwanted, and she seemed like the type of person to humiliate a new girl.