Chapter 22

Avi's POV

Once again over at Kaden's, I was admiring his parenting skills as he effortlessly entertained his baby sister.

Kaden was making faces at Lanie to make the younger sibling laugh, meanwhile, I was getting a funny feeling in my chest. Kaden has really become a big part of my life, he never fails to make me laugh and always rescues me when I am in a tight spot. Despite our rocky start, and unlikely friendship bloomed between a "bad boy" and the mute girl and I wouldn't have it any other way. My goodness, it is so cliche.

I think Kaylee is still a tad upset with the guys, but she has actually taken it upon herself to become the "captain" of the Kadi or Kadianna ship. I don't quite understand her sometimes, but she has been nothing but loyal to me and I am constantly striving to be the same for her. I realized that Kaden was waiting for me to reply to something, so I give him a sheepish grin to signal that I may have missed what he said.

"I asked if something is wrong. You have your nose scrunched up and I can tell that you are biting the inside of your cheek, you always do that when you are thinking really hard and it usually something that is troubling," his words reminded me how observant he really is and I was a tad flattered by his knowledge of my little habits that I was unaware of having. Smiling at him, I picked up my whiteboard and scribbled a reply.

"No, I was just thinking about life in general, which is not negative at all right now!" I give him a small grin and he accepts my answer with one of his easy crooked smiles that make my heart skip a beat, I should get that checked out. I did not anticipate that I would form such an attachment to someone, and I don't know how I would even really react to him betraying me.

He set Lanie down and I grinned as she toddled over to me, her chubby arms outstretched in my direction. Scooping her into my arms, my grin lessened into a content smile as she grabbed my marker to scribble on the whiteboard. Looking up, I wondered if I was imagining Kaden's gentle smile that had hints of admiration. I can't even fathom how his opinion of me evolved into an easy acceptance from our admittedly less than ideal first encounters, but then again, how on earth did I forgive him after what happened between us?

His bullying, despite however short I try to make it in my mind, went on for weeks. I know now that he was trying to spare me from his friend group that he found dangerous and toxic, but the methods were excessive. One of the days he jabbed me in the side with his pencil enough times to bruise, and the various shades of disgusting were not very attractive.

Lanie's giggles brought me out of my stupid and I look at my board to see it covered in squiggles. She had drawn what looked like two potatoes in the center and I pointed at them in question. "Avi and Kady!" I let out a hoarse chuckle at that and Kaden scoffed.

"Excuse me, ma'am? I am more of a rutabaga, not a potato, get your facts straight," he had this weird sassy face he does with a pose that always involves snapping. His outburst only increased the toddler's giggles, and I admit that if I were capable of giggling, I would join in.

Carefully removing the marker from her pudgy fingers, I erased Lanie's masterpiece before beginning her own snippet of art. For something made entirely of one dry erase marker, I think it turned out pretty good.

After haphazardly streaking the ink across the board and creating a solid canvas of baby blue, I took my finger and began erasing three figures. Kaden, Lanie, and I were side by side, silly grins plaster on our faces. Using the marker for a few final touches I smiled and turned the board around, very pleased with Kaden's reaction.

His eyes crinkled up at the corners and his lopsided smile caused that irregular heartbeat to pop back up. I should really ask Miss Victoria to schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. Lanie clapped her hands with delight and I playfully rustled her hair in response. Something I found interesting about my interactions with the two, was that they didn't always attempt to compensate for my silence. 

Lanie, being a toddler didn't necessarily know many words but she does not babble all the time, and while Kaden and I will occasionally have deep conversations we seemed to do a lot of nonverbal communication. A content silence was more of the norm with the occasional witty comment from Kaden and some light-hearted rebuttal from my whiteboard. What makes him act so differently from all of the people I have met in the past?

For some reason, most people have this belief that when there is a silence, the number one priority must be filling in the silence. Being mute, I have a very strong aversion to this ideology, because sometimes I just want silence, not compensation. My thoughts were interrupted when the couch sunk and sounds rang through the air. Kaden had turned on a movie and plopped down next to me, a child on his lap. I looked at the screen in an effort to see what movie it was, though it appeared I would have to wait until the previews were over, so instead I played with Lanie's hand.

I was still fiddling with her fingers when a warm hand covered my own, and began to play with my fingers. I looked up to see Kaden with a very concentrated look on his face, his bottom lip captured between his teeth as he traced the lines on my hand. I was still watching him curiously when the main title screen popped up. We were watching "The Emperor's New Groove" and I let out what was meant to be an excited squeal, clapping my hands as Kaden picked up the remote to press play (if you're happy and you know it clap your hands!). 

The theme song guy began to sing and we settled into the couch, Kaden's arm around my shoulders' as he began to sing along.

***

Hm.... when will I write in some real fricken drama? See, I think I have a disorder or something where I can only do fillers because I don't want my characters hurt or upset remembers the ending.... well, except for that. So, I was just wondering because I think I must have quite a few silent readers, does anyone read this? On a few other stories I usually gauge my reads in votes, but I guess this isn't good enough for votes XD. Anywaysss now that I am done acting like a five year old, please don't forget to 

Like

Comment

Follow

& Critique!

Love y'all!

~Experiment51