the one with the plan

Author's Note: Sabi ko weekend diba pero sige na nga. Hahahaha. After this, sa weekend na talaga next update. Enjoy guys! 😊

_______

RJ / JUNE 2016

"Menggay! Nasaan ka?"

I stormed inside Maine's condo unit and sat down on one of the bean bags. She went out of her room and sat beside me.

"O, anong nangyari?"

"Laura broke up with me."

I obviously looked sad and confused and hurt because Maine hugged me immediately. Minahal ko naman si Laura but then when she told me that she's breaking up with me without saying any reason at all, mixed emotions talaga ang naramdaman ko.

Kaya naman pinuntahan ko si Maine. I know that she's only civil towards Laura whenever we're together, just because Laura's my girlfriend and she's my bestfriend. But I know there's something off between the two.

Maine faked a gasp. "Aray ko bes," she hugged me while tapping my back. "Yaan mo na yun."

"Ang plastic ng 'Yaan mo na yun' mo, Nicomaine. I know for a fact that you don't like her."

"Well, I really don't. And you know that obviously. She didn't like me either so okay lang. The feeling is mutual."

"Bakit ba ayaw mo sa kanya?"

"Una pa lang naman diba sabi ko sayo na wala akong tiwala sa hilatsa ng pagmumukha niya? Party girl, halatang walang matinong gagawin sa buhay. And obviously, I'm right."

I sighed in defeat. "Tingin mo may problema ba sakin?"

Binato ako ng unan ni Maine sa mukha. "Gago. Walang problema sayo. Sila ang may problema. Pano, mga maling babae yung napipili mo."

"Akala ko kasi.."

"Ayan, ayan ang mali mo pala. Puro akala mo," she hurled beside me in the bean bag, resting her head on my shoulder. "Hindi dahil nakakasama mo lagi, nakakausap, nakaka-momol, e siya na talaga. Alam mo, RJ, a relationship is a life long process. Bawat araw, may mga bagay kang malalaman tungkol dun sa taong yun. Mga bagay na makakatulong sa inyo para maggrow kayo sa relationship niyo. Pero kung yung taong yun e wala namang balak na kilalanin ka the way you want to, at sarili niya lang iniisip niya lagi, she will never be worth it. You deserve to be loved and treated right."

She looked at me and pinched my nose. "Sana naman yung susunod na babaeng mamahalin mo, will realize that what they have is actually a gem. Hindi nga lang halata."

"Baliw."

"Pero alam mo, I knew you won't last that long eh."

My forehead creased a little. "Why?"

"You always clash. One minute you're sweet, mushy mushy and all and one more minute you're getting into each other's nerves."

I remembered the times we fought and how we were as a couple. She's right.

"Laura's not your match, RJ. I think it's better that you broke up. You're better off without her anyway so don't worry."

Napaisip ako sa sinabi ni Maine. She's right. I'd be better without Laura.

"O, ayos ka na?"

I smiled at her. "Oo. Thanks, Menggay."

"Buti naman. Now, you can start moving on. Tara, kain tayo? Nagugutom ako eh."

***

We went to a restaurant cafe near Maine's condo. It was quite full, but we still managed to get a place near the counter.

"Tapsilog with bottomless iced tea and cheesecake?" I asked her.

"You know me too well, Richard," she handed me my wallet. "Order na bilis. My anacondas are waiting."

"Sus, kung may tunay na anaconda dito baka naglulupasay ka na sa takot."

She pushed me quite hard to the counter. "Order na, dami pang satsat eh."

A few minutes later, our order arrived. Maine started to munch on her favorite food when I handed her my wallet back.

"Itabi mo nga sa bag mo. Takaw dukot tong bulsa ng pants ko ngayon eh."

"Hindi ka nga naka-skinny jeans pero yung pants mo ang babaw naman ng bulsa."

I qmunched on his food before answering her. "Don't start with me on that stupid skinny jeans again, Nicomaine."

"Hoy, Richard Faulkerson Jr., pinamigay ko lang yung mga skinny jeans mo kasi bukod sa alam kong nasasaktan si junjun, ang sagwa talaga tingnan non sa mga lalaki."

"Bunganga mo uy. Pero teka nga.."

"What?"

"You refer to this as junjun?"

She shrugged. "Well, everybody does."

"Bakit junjun? Diba pang batang maliit lang yun? Hindi naman maliit tong—"

"Hoy Richard nasa public place tayo, stop talking about how big your junjun is!"

"Ikaw tong nagsimula eh."

"Ewan ko sayo," kinalikot niya muna ang wallet ko and I think she found something familiar. "Hey, you have this?"

She was talking about her bucket list.

"Ah, yup. It's been there since I don't know when."

"Bakit hindi ko nakita to dati?"

"You're not good at looking."

Binato ako nito ng fries. "Ewan ko sayo, Richard. Halos nakalimutan ko na nga to eh. Good thing you kept it. Baka magamit ko in the near future. Akin na to ha?"

I grabbed the paper from her immediately. "Nope. That's mine."

"Hey, technically that's my list!"

"Akin na nga lang kasi yan."

"Nope. Not giving it to you," she said keeping the list inside her own wallet. "But... maybe you want to do this? To keep your mind off of Laura?"

Napaisip ako sa suggestion ni Maine. Maybe it is a good idea, to do those things in the list.

"Ano, game na? Maybe this will take a month or so. Depending on us, of course." She asked me.

"Alright. We'll do it."

"Yay! All expense paid mo to ah? This is my idea anyway."

"Not fair, Nicomaine."

She laughed at me. "Sira. Alam kong kkb to so don't fuss about my expenses."

"Yes, your expenses are twice as mine so I'd have to fuss about it if I have to pay for it."

"Daming sinabi ah. Magpapabook na ko ng flight and hotel reservation for our first stop later. The rest of the trip, bahala na kung saan tayo mapadpad."

***

Maine stormed inside My condo unit bearing the news about her approved visa. We applied as soon as we talked about Maine's list.

"Hey, were you approved? Baka naman hindi, sasapakin kita!"

I scooched over the bean bag, the same one she has on her unit. "It's approved, silly. I used my charm."

"Luh siya. Charm daw."

I laughed at her funny reaction. "Funny ka pa din. Funny-walain."

She threw a pillow on me before laying down the sofa. "So we're leaving July 16th. And.. and... I did some magic!"

My forehead creased. "What magic?"

"I made it to a point that we do the list accordingly. I know its kinda hard and impossible since its summer in the U.S., maraming nagbabakasyon and all but I pulled some strings. We're going to start with Hawaii."