eight - what do you mean?

brendon's pov:

i've been trying to get over ryan, but i can't, everything reminds me of him.

it's already mid winter break.

i talk to spencer once in a while but it's only for a little, but i'm not complaining, he's doing good things.

but i miss my best friend especially at a time like this.

i'm cleaning my room when i find josh's number.

i decide it wouldn't hurt to ask him to help me.

i text him and explain why i tried to flirt with him.

.

josh is actually really cool, and he is so cute with his boyfriend he showed me pictures of them at their school dance.

he told me to instead of trying to text ryan, to call him or at least try to leave a voice message.

.

when i get home i sit on my bed nervously, and click the call button.

it rings.

"hey this is ryan, i'm currently unavailable, i'm probably playing music with my boyfriend or my phone is dead as usual, please feel free to leave a message"

he hasn't changed his answering message?

"uh hey ryan, i-i just wanted to say i hope you're doing good, i'd love to hear about your experience over there please give me a call back, okay, b-bye"

.

a couple of days pass and i've lost hope.

when i suddenly get a call from ryan.

"hello, ryan! how are yo-"

"sorry, brendon it's not ryan, it's his father, listen, don't be mad at ryan he didn't know any of this was happening, the school he goes to is very strict he's not allowed to contact anyone, i'm trying to get him out as soon as i can, his phone was taken away and given to us, but we've been really distracted, i just saw all your messages, i'm sorry."

"o-oh uh well uh can you at least tell him i hope he's doing good?"

"no"

"o-oh"

"ryan isn't allowed to send any out going mail but he is allowed to reply every time he gets one."

"what?"

"if you write him a letter, he's allowed to reply, so as long as you send him letters he can reply and you can keep in touch with him, he really misses you too brendon, would you like his mailing address and room number?"

"oh my god, y-yes! yes please"

"ok great, i'll send it to you as a text, ryan will be thrilled to hear from you"

"thank you so much"

"yeah, take care"

"you too"

josh is a genius.

ryan hasn't been ignoring me!

he just wasn't allowed to talk to me.

i've got to email spencer about this!

i send spencer an email and start writing my letter to ryan, i decide to send him a picture of all three of us on halloween just so he can remember his idiot best friends / boyfriend.

i'm excited but also nervous.

but relieved.

he wasn't ignoring me