Chapter 2

50 years later...

Maeranna's POV

I looked out the carriage window as I leave for Mirkwood. As gramma may have said, it might not be so bad. I'm just going to stay there until the dwarves arrived passed Mirkwood's borders and help them in their mission to reclaim their homeland. I might even sneak out of Mirkwood, because gramma told me not to tell anyone, so how ever will I get out of Mirkwood, not with a permission from the king of course, if I am to keep my mouth shut at all cost, sneaking out is the only option for me. If the dwarves hot caught by Kin Thranduil, I am doomed.

The leaves are getting slightly greener as we entered into the borders of Mirkwood. Well, it was once called, Greenwood the Great, known for its beautiful, fresh green plantations. I think I have thought about the mission for too long, Rivendell and Mirkwood is not close at all. They are in fact, from end to end of Middle Earth.

I wonder how Legolas is doing. We haven't seen each other for about 50 years.

I finally saw a river flowing which means that we are close to Mirkwood's palace. I looked to the front of the carriage to see a big palace not far from where I'm at.

I finally arrived in the front gate. Its actually more glorious than I thought. I got off the carriage and as the wooden gate opened I was greeted by the king and the prince.

"Lady Maeranna, welcome to Mirkwood." King Thranduil started

I bowed

"You must be tired from your journey." King Thranduil said

"Legolas lead her to her chambers." King Thranduil said

He did as asked. What a disciplined son, not like me, a very UNdesciplined daughter. I am the one and only, mixture of all my naughty siblings, which made me EXTREMELY terrible.

"Here." He opened the door and in front of me, I looked around and saw a queen sized bed, a vanity, a white closet, a bathroom, and a balcony.

"Thank you." I said

"You're most welcome." He said

I went in and looked around. And went into the balcony.

"Wow!" I gasped

"I know its not much but-"

"No, no, no, its fine."

"Its beautiful!" I said while looking around to see a better view of the river and large trees

"You were no different from when you were before are you?" He asked

"Of course not, why would I change?" I said

"Its been long since I have seen you." He said

"I know it has." I replied

"Do you know where I can shoot some arrows and throw daggers?" I asked

"Down in the training field. You know how to wield them?" He asked

"Who doesn't! Lets go!" I said

He led me down and outside the castle to an opened area field. To my surprise, no one is there.

"Its quite surprising not to see soldiers training." I said

"They are all trained, now they are on patrol." He replied

I pulled out my bow and arrows, I placed the arrow in the middle and pulled the string of my bow and released. It hit the target as usual. Legolas pulled his bow and arrow and released which hit the target like mine and it also sliced my arrow in half.

"What is that made of?" I asked

"Wood and metal. Why?" He asked

"Nothing. Its just odd, about how you seem to slice my arrow into half when mine is also made from wood and metal." I tried examining my arrow

He chuckled

"Its not about what its made of. Its about your strength." He said

I looked at him

"What knowledge may you know of this?" I asked curiously

"Not much." He replied

"I'm sorry to disturb, your highness but dinner is ready." An elleth in which I guess is a castle helper said

"Alright." Legolas replied and took my hand and led me to the dining room.

King Thranduil is, of course in the head of the table. Legolas and I sat facing each other.

"Maeranna, what did you do today?" King Thranduil asked

"Just a few shootings." I replied

"My king, if you don't mind me asking, is it often that trespassers trespassed your borders?" I asked

"Only spiders. Why?" He asked

"Nothing." I said

It means that if the dwarves trespassed through the borders, then there will be drama. A lot of drama.

After dinner I went back into my chambers and took a bath and wore my white nightgown. I took out a portrait of my mother and I jumped to bed. I stared blankly into her portrait. I missed her, even though it has been 200 years. I remember how she used to braid my dark, black hair. And how she used to bake me some delicious cookies. And how she sang me to sleep every night.

I soon fell asleep.

Legolas' POV

I opened Maera's door and saw her staring blankly at a portrait of an elleth with white hair. It must be Lady Celebrian. I slowly closed back her door. She is not the only one who lost a mother.