Chapter 19: Reminiscence

HEY

SUP

HI

YO

~There is something I see in you. It might kill me. I want it to be true.

* * * * * * *

*imagine everything past this point is in Italics because Wattpad hates me lololol*

I was lying down on a hospital bed, but there were no bandages on my exposed arms. Everything was blurry, spinning. I couldn't move and my panic lodged in my throat. I was unable to speak. Barely able to breathe. Everything inch of my body felt so weak and heavy.

"YOU DID WHAT?"

A golden haired man with crystal blue eyes appeared at the far end of the room in a fiery blaze that he strode out of. Devin. Death appeared too, hot on Devin's tail–literally, since there was a tail like an arrowhead on fire swinging in the air behind Devin. Devin's features were a little sharper than usual, like he were carved of stone, and it was clear he was losing control of his true form.

Devin's jaw tightened when he saw me, and his features hardened into a scowl almost worse than Death's.

"You MORON!" Devin spun around and grabbed Death by the throat. "I should cage you for the rest of the century! Do you have any idea what a hex of that capacity could have done to her?"

"She is my property." Death said this around lengthening fangs, visibly straining, even though Devin was somewhat smaller than him in stature. Death's neck began to smoke, burning where Devin's fingers curled around it. The smell of burned flesh permeated the room. "And I made the decision... for her," Death continued. "There's nothing...nothing you can do about it. She signed... the Order. She's not your...pet. She's mine..."

Devin dropped Death and shoved him away. Along the edges of his clothes, a halo of fire had formed. "You really have lost your damn mind. You've given her too much of your soul for this!" His features were reddening as he turned back to me. He showed Death his back and ran his hands over his face. "Right when we've discovered what she is, you are giving her up. And for what?"

"To protect her," Death answered, and Devin only glared scathingly. Death adjusted his leather jacket, which had been shifted by his struggle with Devin, and fixed a strand of wavy hair that had abandoned his unkempt fohawk. "I'm not giving her up. For now, this is the best option for her. Now if I leave to find Ahrimad by myself, she will not find a way to follow me."

"That's not a good enough motivation to do what you did to her. Look at her. Her eyes are open and she can't move." He glanced over my frame. "She's shaking. She has a fever, too."

"As if you care." Death narrowed his mismatched eyes at the florescent lights above him and they dimmed significantly. "You despise the mortals more than anyone I know. The only reason you even interacted with her in the first place was to make sure we had her trust."

"She's an amusing little thing," Devin justified. "It's feasible that she's grown on me."

"Yeah, sure. Anyway, she's strong, she will get through the side effects," Death said. "This was a risk I needed to take. Soon the hex will fully settle in and she will be back to normal. It is in her nature to interfere. And with more of my soul within her, she could be even more defiant than usual. Taming that part of my soul in her will take some tweaking in her every day life. You know that."

"The warlock said it himself, she supposed to go through the portal with you," Devin reminded him, boiling at the surface. "You might not succeed if you do not match that fate. And then what? And, not to mention, Faith will no longer be under your protection in the human world. She will be under Leo's, or another Reaper. They could fail to protect her. Could you bear that?"