Chapter 23: Done For

HEY!!!

SO, WHAT'S EVERYONE'S FAVORITE CHAPTER SO FAR IN THE REWRITTEN SERIES???????

WHAT'S EVERYONE'S FAVORITE CHEESE?

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Follow me on mi social media!! 

My username for everything (Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat is katrocks247)

* * *

*CUE SONG ABOVE*

            "Oh," I said, finding my voice, "I think we are. You're giving me that me Grim, you soul, look right now. And Soul is staying where it is, thank you very much."

Death's talons ripped from the wall and he started towards me. My fight or flight response kicked in and so did that barracuda around my arm, but with the pendant quiet in my sober mind I knew I wouldn't last against Death in Beast Mode.

The monster stopped a few feet ahead of me, in line with the door. I thought he was reconsidering the wave of hunger that had broken through to the surface. I was wrong. It was hesitation. Fear. In that moment, the monster was afraid of me. I couldn't think of anything more terrifying than the Angel of Death being afraid of me.

"You're glowing," the monster purred lowly, like a compliment.

Unfortunately, it wasn't a compliment. I was actually glowing. My fingers were prickly with a hot current that illuminated the room. I wondered if I had activated my power subconsciously, or if I'd just gotten lucky and had a spark of power. I'd act like it was on purpose. "That's right, kitten. And unless you want some of this, you can take all of that, and keep it on that side of the room," I warned him firmly. "And"–my eyes skirted to the door–"while you're at it, you can give me a map of this weird ass building and call me an Uber away from the D & S Freak Towers."

Beast Mode Death raked me with his gaze. I watched him lick his bottom lip with a pierced tongue; eyes wicked when they met mine. He took another step towards me. I felt like Death's twin was approaching me, except he was even more evil.

"I'm serious, Death," I said firmly. "I won't hold back."

There was that tongue again. Poking at the tip of his fang. "Is supposed to keep me away?" he asked, a tad seductively, might I add.

"I don't taste good," I insisted.

His eyebrow arched wickedly. "You taste exactly like you smell."

"How do I smell?" I asked immediately. I wanted to face palm myself. It was like asking a cannibal what his favorite meal tasted like, while standing right in front of him.

But hey, I wanted to know how I freaking smelled to a supernatural creature.

"Sugary," he answered seriously. Tipping his head to the side. Flexed his talons. Leather tore further in his gloves. "Like... a cupcake." His eyes were carefully level with mine. "I imagine all of you would taste the same."

Goosebumps bubbled up my arms and heat crept up my neck. "That's enough of you."

His smirk was broad and bright. "I've never seen you so red."

"A being of your age and of your immense power," I said, my voice cracking miserably, "should be able to snap out this trance quicker." It was a desperate attempt to remove that possessed, hungry look in his eyes.