Chapter 41: Evocative

PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT, LEAVE FEEDBACK, AND SHARE THIS STORY WITH YOUR FRIENDS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION!!! ;) <3

(Also this song is FADE AF!!!!)

            I exited the roof and walked down a long staircase to the second floor of Death's apartment. The lights were off, which meant there weren't any partiers in his actual house. The outline of familiar furniture and the freezing temperature was all too familiar as maneuvered blindly through the space.

Veering quickly down the hallway leading to the bedrooms. My gaze clung to Death's door at the end of the hallway, the one he'd forbidden me to open, as I threw open my own guest bedroom door and flicked on a light.

"Cruentas!" I called out, pulling a clean shirt over my head. "Oh, Cruuuuuentas! Where's my handsome boy?"

I flipped up my comforter, now frantically looking around for him. I'd never actually summoned Cruentas before and had no idea if I was doing it right. Usually he just appeared in my room like an alarm clock and lit things on fire to wake me up. "Cruentas, if you can hear me, I need you now." Sighing, I brushed my hair out of my face. "Do you want to play fetch––?"

A blue tennis ball dropped to the ground behind me. Bending to pick it up, I cracked a smile and spun around in a circle, searching for the miniature horse. Pulling my arm back, I threw the ball across the room and Cruentas manifested mid-leap in the air, catching the ball in his mouth, before trotting proudly toward me.

"There you are, sweetie," I cooed, giving him a full body scratch as he nudged his snout excitedly against my shins. His miniature body felt solid and sinewy beneath my fingertips, like an Olympian horse, just as I remembered him full-size. With my hand resting on his neck, I lowered myself to Cruentas' level and gazed into intelligent, burning ruby red eyes. "Leo said you would know where Death is. Could you take me to him?"

Cruentas bobbed his head up and down and sneezed. With a puff of smoke, a black studded collar appeared on Cruentas' neck with a matching leash. He stomped his hoof once on the end of the leash, turned toward the bedroom door, and knickered.

I looped my hand into the leash and Cruentas lunged forward. Air rushed out of my lungs as my surroundings transformed, my sneaker landing in a puddle as I nearly fell and stumbled forward, bracing my hands against a cold brick wall. An awful feeling settled inside of me as I slowly turned around, instantly recognizing my surroundings. Great. Cruentas had taken me to warehouse, where I'd fought that demonic creature. This was not what I expected in the slightest.

Cruentas' butt and tail started to shake in delight. He tried to yank me forward to the center of the warehouse, where light overhead lit overhead. I yanked him back by his leash and grasped his small but strong body to make him still. "I thought you said you were taking me to Death?" I hissed down at him.

"Nrrrffghh," Cruentas said and licked my face. He whined and tapped his front hooves hard on the ground in front of him.

"Shh. Shh...." Tiny pimples of fear and uncertainty prickled my forearms as I gazed down, where Cruentas' hoove had smashed into the liquid I'd landed in. Surrounding us was unmistakably fresh blood.

Not this shit again.

Shadowy creatures slinked in the dark around us, weaving in-between crates and murmuring things I couldn't quite hear. With my heart slamming against my ribs and Cruentas dragging me forward with his impressive strength, I bit the bullet and finally moved into the small area of the warehouse that had light.