Chapter 1 | Divorces, Close Calls, and Fist Fights (Yay!)

I come home with my hands occupied with shopping bags. I stumble up the stairs to my room and set all of the bags on my bed. I grab the boots I bought at H&M and slip them on. They are knee-length, and the inside has soft fake fur which makes my toes tingle with excitement. I smile down at my feet. I knew that spending those twenty dollars was worth it.

I jump as I hear a soft knock on my door. "Come in," I call. I admire my boots even more as Mom steps in and smiles. She gives me a kiss and asks how I am.

"I'm good." I give her a hug and beam. "Mom, these boots are the best!" I slip them off and put them in my closet next to my shoe rack, which I only utilize for my flats and sneakers. I take a sweater out of another bag and take my coat off to wear my new Aèropostale sweater. It is blue with AÈROPOSTALE printed on it in big, pink block letters.

"I'm glad you like them," Mom says. She sits down on my bed and pats the space next to her, motioning that she wants me to sit down next to her. I plop down on the bed and hug Mom. "What's wrong? " I ask.

Mom takes a deep breath. Her eyes usually hold happiness, but now her green eyes make her look sad and mournful. "Your father called me this morning after Church. He was wondering if I would consider getting back together with him."

"But he himself wanted the divorce."

"I know," Mom says immediately, "but he has his reasons. I am just telling you this to let you know if something happens in the future."

"Did you tell Kara and Keith?" I ask.

"No, I haven't told them yet. But I will whenever I have the need to. Or when I think they're ready to handle the news."

"Handle what?" Kara asks. She's standing in the doorway, her expression curious. She gives us a questioning look by arching her right eyebrow.

"The fact that I went to the mall without you!" I stuck my tongue at her playfully. Hopefully, she'll believe what I had just said.

Kara glares at me. "This is so unfair!" she wails.

"Well, if ya snooze ya loose!" I smirk at her and watch as she leaves, stomping in every step,  implying that she's either playing along or upset.

Mom laughs. "Thank you,  Kayla. I don't want them knowing yet." She gives me a kiss on the cheek and leaves the room, closing the door behind her.

I go on back to gawking at how good I look in my new clothes and hang them in the closet. I am so  wearing those boots tomorrow.

___

Once I finish washing the dishes after dinner, I walk up the stairs with anticipation. I really needed to read more from the Qur'aan. I was so attached to the words, that I have now decided to read at least one chapter per day. It will take me awhile since there are 113- no, 114 surahs in the Qur'aan.

I close my bedroom door behind me and take the translation of the Qur'aan from the first drawer of my nightstand. I plop down on my bed and carefully open the thick book to the table of contents. From alphabetical order, there's a list for certain things, such as Prayer or chapters, such as 'Ash-Shura ; page 483. My index finger glides down the page, only to find that the Opening Chapter is not listed here.

I turn the page and continue on, since there's at least five pages of contents. I knew that I shouldn't just skip to the O section of the table of contents for the 'Opening Chapter', because the actual name of the chapter will be listed in Arabic transliteration, not English completely.

I forgot the name of the chapter in  Arabic, so I quickly Google it on my laptop and find out that it's called Fatihah. I eagerly find it easily in the contents and flip to the page that is listed next to it. And I immediately face palm myself. I am so stupid. I didn't even have to bother looking for it; it's the very first chapter, and the name literally means Opening Chapter!