Chapter 9 | Trouble

Dedicated to cuteparry since she is the only person who seems to be suggesting ideas. Thanks for your support.

***

Yes. Please hurry.

As stupid as I am, I listen to Nick's orders and head to the park after throwing on a sweatshirt and sneakers. I know that I'll some point have to run from him, so sneakers are an ideal thing to have. So is my cell phone, which I put in my pocket. I already know that he'll get it away from me, but I have a feeling that he'll spare me.

He told me many intimate and private things about his life. He wouldn't just tell someone who he'll kill anyway--there must be a reason as to why he entrusted me on this. It almost makes me feel special, despite the fact that I'm heading to a potential life-or-death situation.

And of course, I sneak from the house because I know that Dad will tell me to rest. He saw me frazzled after that dream; he knows that something's wrong. And Mom, having the motherly care she has, will tell me to take a nap since I've been skating for over two hours. Georgia, of course, will have sided with my parents.

After we got home it had been raining, washing away the remaining snow on the ground. But there are still patches of mushy, dirty snow. The air smells like rainwater, damp yet comforting. My feet pad over the sidewalk, making squishy sounds as I step in puddles. I cross the street and walk a few more yards to the park. I notice a black van with tinted windows parked behind the same park bench Nick and I sat on that one heart-shattering day.

I decide to turn back, realizing how stupid I was for coming in the first place. My breath quickens as I cross the street and get back into the neighborhood. I hear footsteps behind me. This is like my dream all over again, but this is the real deal. It's actually happening.

I continue walking in a normal pace. I know that I am not hallucinating, because I can actually here someone talk. The only words I catch are, "Boss...that girl...hoodie..." I act as if I am oblivious to all of this. But I'm pretty sure they know that I know who they are and what they do.

I turn a corner and the same heavy footsteps follow me. I keep my breath steady, trying to mask the fear that is already building up inside me. My back stiffens as I imagine a group of men at my heels, ready to shove me in a tote bag and throw me into the black van, then take me to a secret underground compound. And then I imagine Nick holding a gun, pointed at my temple, talking to my parents over the phone ominously saying that they pay up a good ten thousand dollars.

I watch too many movies.

I feel a tap on my shoulder, and on instinct, I turn around, keeping my eyes on the ground.

"Excuse me ma'am. Have you seen this girl before?" A man hands me a picture of a girl with red-brown hair and sharp green eyes, but not like the sea-green eyes of Nick nor Keith. My heart skips a beat, (in a panicked way, not the lovey-dovey way), as I instantly realize that it is me. I wonder how they got my picture. It looks like a school picture cut from a yearbook.

I shake my head. "No sir," I reply in a deeper voice than necessary.

"Thank you for your time. Here's our number if you see her anytime soon." He seizes the picture of me and hands me a card with a number on it. I tuck it in my pocket along with my phone.

"Uh, why exactly? What's so important about her?" I ask hesitantly.

The guy clears his throat. "Our boss requested her. Some type of interview, I guess," he drawls.

Another guy says, "Karl, I think we've spoken to her long enough." Even though I can't see his face or he'll recognize me, I know that he nods in response. "Have a good day, ma'am."