Chapter 4 | Truths and Lies

I go back to school and get bombarded with cards, hugs, and chocolates from my friends, and even from teachers and complete strangers. My spirits lift at the sight of happiness around me. The rumors died down, fortunately. But there are still people, like Stephanie and her posse, who are just too cruel and evil to start more rumors.

Okay, so she may not be a viscious witch with a huge wart on her nose, but she's still evil. Luckily, no more rumors started. Well, not yet.

Zahra, Veronica, Bonnie (one of my friends), and I sit together at a table near a window. Every so often, someone comes and says "Are you okay?" or "How are you feeling?". I just smile and tell them that I am fine. They smile back and leave me with my friends.

Still, I hate this kind of attention, because I barely have five minutes to myself in which I eat my slice of vegetable pizza with garlic sauce in peace while catching up with my friends. After the tenth person or so who stops by our table to see how I am doing, Bonnie speaks up and answers them for me. I flash her a grateful smile before sipping from a can of Coca Cola.

Zahra turns her fork over and over, playing with her spaghetti, barely touching her food. She doesn't say a word as I tell Veronica and Bonnie about yesterday at the park with Nick. I leave out the part about his mom, but I tell them that we only talked, and that he wasn't obnoxious for once. But of course, they want to know about the conversation.

"So, what were you guys talking about?" Veronica prods.

"Um, hold on," I tell Veronica. I turn to Zahra and ask, "You okay?" She gives me a small nod. "Why aren't you talking? You seem a little uneasy."

Zahra barely looks up before saying, "It's nothing. I'm just a little tired, that's all."

I nod, but I am not at all assured. Zahra has never been like this, not even when she twisted her wrist a few months ago. Something is up, but she's not ready to tell me. I'll just have to talk to her later in private.

Turning my attention back to Veronica but keeping my eye on Zahra, I continue to talk with her. "It's too personal." Veronica's eyes light up but I hold up my hand. "And it's not like that." Her shoulders slump at the news and she frowns.

"So you're not telling us," she replies as she takes a bite into her hamburger. I nod and we drop the subject.

I feel someone sit next to me and my back stiffens in irritation. Why can't these people stop already? I am already overwhelmed, even if they are just making sure I'm okay. I glance at the girl who is sitting next to me and my eyes widen in shock. Stephanie, gossip queen, is sitting next to me. I wipe the grease off my mouth with a napkin - not to impress her, but at least look decent in front of her. She flashes me a small smile, showing off her perfect white teeth.

"So, I heard you were in the hospital for a few days," she starts to say casually. "I hope you are feeling better, because I have a proposal for you." My ears perk up as I hear this. "We want you to join us."

"Who is 'we' and 'us'?" I question.

She flips a mane of jet-black hair over her shoulder. "My posse, of course. Me, Emma, Lindsay, Blake, Vincent, and Tyler." Bonnie and Veronica stare at us, waiting in anticipation for me to say no. Zahra just scowls in Stephanie's direction who either ignores her or doesn't notice. "So, what do you say?"

"Thanks, but I am comfortable where I am," I reply meekly.

Stephanie frowns. "Oh sweetie, you should join us. You became more and more popular once everyone heard about your mishap and that you survived it."

"It was just a headache, so..."

"Whatevs, Kayla. The point is, you are as almost popular and apparently," she stares at my pizza, "aristocratic as us. We are only going to give you a week to decide - be one of the most popular and dazzling girls in school, or just be plain...you," she says with a flat expression. "See ya then!" She walks away with her black wavy her bouncing on her back, her heels pounding on the floor.