Chapter 20 | Ups & Downs

My first weekend of Qur'aan classes passes by... unexpectedly. The group of teenage girls who always sit at the back of the room kept glancing my way, as if I were some unidentified species, which I really felt like. On one account, one of them pushed me into the wall and muttered, "Oops," before stalking off to her friends, giggling. In the midst of this, the teacher wasn't even aware of what was happening. 

It's like I've met a pack of Stephanies.

I've always misjudged people. I thought that all Muslims were merciful and kind - but the truth is, nobody is capable of having any of those traits if they treat anyone else like trash. I realize that Islam is perfect, while Muslims aren't. We all have our faults, but if we commit bad actions intentionally, then that reveals how we're taking advantage of this beautiful blessing Allah gave us: Islam. If it weren't for Zahra, I probably wouldn't have been a Muslim. Allah willed Zahra to come into my life to give me dawah, or the call to Islam.

And to add on to that, the girls wear a ton of makeup on their face. We come to the masjid every weekend to increase our knowledge; all they're doing is increasing the amount of wasted time putting on makeup just for these classes. I don't really get some people and their habits.

I sigh as I set my bag down on the couch. Ever since I walked in the house, the house phone has been ringing continuously. I decide to answer the call as I sit down on the couch, already exhausted from having to keep up with those girls. "Hello?"

"Kayla. Can we talk?" At first, I thought Harun would be calling. But the voice has caught me by surprise.

"Nadia? I thought you hated my guts," I spit out almost harshly. I wince as I register the silence on the other line.

"That's right. I hated your guts. But not necessarily now. I thought about what you said the other day - and you were right. I don't have to change myself to get my parents' attention. I did what you recommended; gather my family for a nice dinner. I talked to my parents and after they saw how despondent my little brother looked, and how tired Salma appeared after taking care of us, and how angry I was, they finally had some sense to actually listen to us for once. It was actually nice, you know. We had an actual family dinner and we were actually acknowledging each other.

"I'm sorry for rambling on, but thank you Kayla. It means a lot." I ponder over the fact that she actually sounds genuine. As I've said before, I've always misjudged people. "Also, they're planning to take some hours off of work to spend time with us. Isn't that nice? Also, my dad's friend's son proposed to Salma a few days ago.  She said she'd never get married until I'm old enough to take care of my little brother Isa." I remember her telling me that the day I went to their house. "I guess I am responsible enough now. I asked her about her decision, but she said she'll think about it."

"Wow, I've missed a lot. I'm glad your life has taken a different toll." I suddenly feel guilty for not even making dua about her family. "Listen, I haven't even thought about you guys. I'm so sorry."

"It's okay. At least, for once, I'm happy." I can almost see her smile.

"And how about Harun? Do you still..." I trail off, since I don't want to finish the question that I'm afraid to ask will have a disappointing answer.

"Yeah," she says briskly. "But I'll get over it. I heard Salma talking over the phone with Harun and they were talking about some marriage proposal."

"But you just said that your sister got proposed to a few days ago," I say slowly.

"No, the phone call was like a week ago, before the guy's proposal to Salma."

"Oh," I reply timidly. Maybe Harun knew about the proposal to Salma then? He himself told me he won't get married until he earns his degree. That makes a lot of sense now.