Semi-Chapter 1 | Nick | The Plan

For now, I'll be writing 'semi-chapters' which are chapters that are NOT part of this book. They are basically in another character's point of view (POV). These semi-chapters are an addition to this story, since the actual story is in Kayla's POV. I'll write them when I haven't uploaded a chapter in a while or when I'm stuck on a chapter. Enjoy. ;)

***

"Where the hell is she?" Boss asks angrily. He eyes the four of us carefully. Blake stiffens next to me as soon as the words slip from his mouth. Boss sure has an effective voice; a voice that usually makes you flinch. I knew he wasn't happy because things are barely dandy with Boss. 

It really sickens me how he doesn't trust us. Not with information; but with his own stupid name. He insists us on calling him 'Boss'. He has a name, for sure. But the cops are keeping a close eye on him. He's committed a few felonies--scratch that, a lot of felonies--and he's been on the loose. We do his jobs because he can't be seen in public, otherwise he'll get time behind the bars. Last time he's been seen, he had a scraggly beard and shaggy mahogany hair. He also had piercing blue eyes.

But now, he bleached his hair. It's blond, white blond, and it looks drastic on him. He also cut his hair in a buzz-cut style. He now wears artificial contacts, making his eyes more of a brown. I like his eyes better this way; his normal blue eyes are too cold. Even though he altered his physical appearance, he still lives in hiding. I don't know what he fears. The police are nobody for Boss to fear. 

"She didn't come to the park, sir," I reply clearly, my voice ringing. Boss hates it when we answer him with small, hoarse voices.

"You didn't do your job then! Bastards. It's simple; once you see her, shove her into the van and get the hell out of there. " He sighs and paces back and forth. "Do you know any of her close friends?" 

"Yes, Boss. She has...three close friends. One of them is a Mozlem." I look at the floor while we all stand there, breaths heavy. 

"A Mozlem..." Boss muses. "I never got to play with one of those before." I flinch as he says 'those'. He thinks of them as things. "Okay, this is the new plan. Text that girl, Kayla, anonymously and tell her to meet you at...Sandy's Sundae's. Tell her you're one of her friends. I suggest you choose her closest friend." We all nod. "Karl, Michael, you guys continue to play Detective. Nick, both you and Blake will meet her at the diner. Take her outside and get her into the alley as soon as possible. Don't raise any suspicion." We all nod again politely. He leaves the room, possibly to drink some liquor.

 "How the hell are we going to do that?" Blake hisses. "That girl's not stupid. We have underestimate her. And the whole plan might get ruined if she's suspicious about anything. Kayla, that girl's cautious." 

I shrug. "I know. She's been like that ever since Stephanie attempted to convince her. But why does Boss want her? I still don't understand."

Blake sighs and runs a hand across his face. "She's valuable. She's cautious and aware, unlike some of our partners." He glances at Karl and Michael who are having a conversation of their own. "She's also sly. We really need that girl to finish our business. But she won't be willing unless one of her loved ones are...hurt." He looks at the floor with barely a soft expression. He tenses and clenches his fists.

"It's okay, Blake. Brian did what he needed to do. He protected you," I assure him. I look at him weirdly as he glares at me.

"Don't utter his name ever again, okay? Brian's gone. He's dead. He left me and my mom and my little sister. He risked his precious life saving us. I should have been the one to take that bullet, but no, Brian was being too stubborn." He looks at the floor again. "Damn, I talk too much."

"Stop being selfish! Your own brother risked his life to save yours! You should be thankful that you're breathing. Alive. My mom died but she never left me. She's still with me, but not physically. She's in my heart and my mind. Your brother is a part of you that you should never let go. But look at yourself, blaming Brian who died for you!" Hot tears roll down my face and I wipe them angrily. Blake can be a pain the ass sometimes. He's the one who's stubborn.

"Is that arguing I hear?" a light melodic voice rings. Stephanie steps into the room and looks around with disgust. "This place needs a makeover." She scrutinizes the moldy walls, the reeking couches, and the cold stone floor that has dried pools of blood on it. "Anyways, what's wrong?" She walks over to Blake and kisses him on the cheek gently. 

"Nothing," he replies abruptly. Stephanie looks at him dubiously. "Steph, I promise you, everything's all right. We're just figuring out a plan to lure Kayla into our trap." He kisses her on her forehead before exiting the room. 

She crosses her arms and arches an eyebrow. "Seriously, what's his deal?" 

I stare at her. "Why do you have to get into his business?" I raise my own eyebrows.

"He's my boyfriend. And there's supposed to be trust in a relationship. But obviously that's not his strongest forte. You're his closest friend so you would at least know. I even heard you two arguing. Don't get smart with me, Grey." She steps closer and looks me in the eye. 

I back away and shrug. "I don't think he'll like that. He doesn't want to talk about it, so I shouldn't tell you a thing either. I'm sorry Stephanie."

"You should be." She drops her arms to her sides and walks away. "Boys," she mutters ferociously under her breath.

"Guys, I'm out," I tell Karl and Michael. The barely nod as I walk outside and into the cold winter air. The wind seeps through my clothes and I shudder as I walk to the car. I wait for the car to heat up for a few minutes until I start driving away. Boss lives in a mansion a few blocks down, but he spends most of his time in the shack that we just had the meeting. The shack is basically our compound. We gather, meet, and plan there.

Since Boss mentioned Sandy's Sundae's, I suddenly have the need to go there and get myself a bite. I arrive in a few minutes and park in front of the diner. I enter it and look around. There are barely people around here, just a few. A waiter greets me warmly and sets a table for me, then I scan through the menu. 

The door bell jingles and I glance at the entrance to see who's entering the diner. I see a flash of red-brown hair. My eyes widen as I see Kayla and two other girls trail behind her. I quickly look down at my table. I curse under my breath as the three of them sit right behind me. This is the perfect moment to do what Boss wanted, but I don't have the heart to do it. I started...liking Kayla over the weeks since I first met her. She was in the high school infirmary. She seemed really pissed to see me, and I know she'll be way more pissed to see me right now. 

I quickly text Stephanie, because I know Blake still needs to cool down after our heated conversation. 

Come to Sandy's quick. There's someone you'd like to see.

***

Sorry that it's short! This is like a filler chapter; the next chapter will hopefully be longer and more eventful. Please understand that I need some time to prepare the upcoming chapter. And now you know what the heck is up with Nick. 

Also, thanks SO SO SO SO SO much for your support!!!! It makes me so happy that I've gotten this far! This story is about to reach 10K reads, which I'm really looking forward too! :D :D :D

A happy and grateful girl, 

Fayfay