Chapter 12 | An Unexpected Day

I walk into Sandy's Sundae's with both Bonnie and Veronica. I took Zahra's suggestion to come over here with them. Things have been working out for me in the past few days. Well, except for the fact that Mom is still avoiding my bombardment of questions and peculiar suspicions. Also, I didn't fess up. I know, I'm a wuss. But it's not easy. It's not like I'm telling her that I want a bunny named Fluffles. Nope, this situation is not remotely close to a bunny named Fluffles, although I wish it was.

Also, Georgia and Dad left today. Georgia felt that tension was gradually growing and that it was better if they left a few days early. I'm actually bummed about it because I got to bond with my dad, and I also became close to Georgia. She has a really nice personality that doesn't seem to be easily influenced. But in the next few months, in May, we all get to visit both of them and Kara, Mom and I get to help her with her wedding preparations. 

The diner is oddly empty today with the exception of a couple of people. We sit at a booth behind someone else and order our milkshakes and pastries. The silence does not stretch long because I decide to speak up. "Okay, guys, I need to tell you guys something. I only mentioned this to Zahra, so that means no one else knows except a few other people." They both give me questioning looks. "Just listen." I  look down at the table and take the ketchup bottle from its little spot on the rack. I pass the bottle from my right hand to my left. 

"So, do you guys remember the other day when Stephanie forced me to follow her outside?" They nod. "Well, when I told her I didn't want to join any group she was referring to, she got pissed and walked away. I discreetly followed her and I saw her with a guy, possibly with Blake. She mentioned about some idea she had that will make me say yes." I lower my voice. "Her group is a drug group as far as I know. The members in that gang are willing to do anything to get me to join them. I also had a few encounters. And, the worst part is that..." I swallow my throat and fight back tears. "...Nick is in it too." 

The man behind me shifts in his seat and stands up, alarmed. "Sh*t!" he says angrily. That voice is so familiar and I don't even want to hear that deep, damn, sexy voice in my life again. 

I stand up. "Nick?" Why the hell was he eavesdropping? "What are you doing here?" I ask, anger ringing in my voice as well.

He turns around and those sea-green eyes stare at my own. He takes a deep breath and looks at the entrance of the diner uncertainly. "Do we have to do this here?" he asks, exasperated. 

"I don't want to do it at all! I don't want to talk to you to begin with. You're a druggie. I think everyone is so proud of you. How about your mom? She would have been proud too, right?" I laugh. "I mean, my mom would have-"

"Don't bring my mother into this!" he shouts furiously at me. I almost feel guilty. Not for Nick, but for his late mother. If she was alive today and found out about Nick's 'hobby', boy, I wonder how such a caring person would have taken that situation. 

"Why shouldn't I? Honestly, do you think your mom would have been appreciative of you? She spent her last days with you for your happiness. She was never happy, but you were. The only joy she had discovered was from you, and now if she was still alive, all of that joy would have vanished. Disappeared. And I'm speaking nothing but the truth. Nick Grey, don't come into my life ever again. I don't even want to see your grotesque face." Okay, that was a bit too much, knowing for a fact he's hot, but still. He deserved that.

I start to leave and the woman who took our orders asks, "Ma'am, do you want it to-go?" I ignore her and continue to the door. But just then she comes in, flanked with Blake and these two other goons. I groan.

"Hm, McGrady, I'm so glad to see you here. What a coincidence, actually. Nick over there texted me and it sounded very urgent. But things don't have to get rushed with a petty person like you." Her eyes flicker to my friends who are still at the booth, bewildered by this all. "Oh, and I see you brought friends. How sweet."