Semi-Chapter 3 | Harun | Flowers and Sweat Stains

She fell sick a day after the dinner, two days before the wedding.

At the hospital, the doctor informed us that she has pneumonia, which can be treated in two to three weeks time. He asked us if she showed any signs of the symptoms. She has been coughing and shivering for the past two days. We all thought it was just a mild fever, but once she started coughing up mucus, Ma knew something was wrong.

The doctor also gave us two options: whether she should go back home and be treated there or stay in the hospital. Even though we were short on money because of the wedding, Ma insisted that she stay in the hospital, and my father agreed. It really surprises me how they're already treating her like a daughter. Maybe it's because Hafsa is getting married soon, and they're not as ready to let go as Hafsa is.

I didn't get to see Kayla yesterday, so I'm going to see her today. Hafsa is at the hospital with Ma now, since Baba has to go to work today. I tighten my grip around the bouquet of lilies. I'm not really a person who gives flowers, but I think it would be nice to at least get something for her.

I hear a vase shatter into pieces in the kitchen; well, I assume it's a vase.  "What the-" I sprint to the kitchen and find Faiza and Farhan, the ten-year-old twins, saying "Ahhhwww" at each other and pointing at the other accusingly. I roll my eyes in annoyance and don't see a shattered vase anywhere. "Where is the vase?" I ask, panicked.

Farhan snickers. Faiza joins in and giggles. What, is this some inside joke? "What are you guys laughing at?" I inquire a little louder. Neither twin answers and I just let out a frustrated sigh. "Kids are so damn annoying," I mutter to myself.

Ali, my immature thirteen year old brother, rushes into the room and laughs hysterically. "Your...your face...you should see it. You look so...shocked and stressed out." He bends down and repeatedly smacks his knees. "Damn, you're hurting my stomach."

"Somebody better tell me what's up before..." They all raise an eyebrow questioningly. "...before I tell Ma to cancel your trip." They were all supposed to go to the amusement park, which will be sometime in the summer. Ma challenged them to be on their best behavior so they can go, but one big mistake could call it all off.

"That's not fair!" Faiza shrieks.

"What?!" Farhan whines annoyingly.

"I'm tired of being in this damn house," Ali complains.

"Then what the hell happened? Didn't I hear a vase shatter?" I ask with a bit of annoyance.

"Oh, that." Ali smirks while the twins laugh.

I shake my head again out of frustration. "Well, I'm leaving, so don't cry to me when Ma finds something is out of place." I leave the room just as the doorbell chimes. I open the door and move to the side to let Hafsa and Ma in. Hafsa drops a pair of car keys in my open palm and rubs my arm soothingly.

"She's okay," she whispers. I nod as I gulp nervously. I step out into the cold air outside and head down to the Toyota Camry somewhat parked in the driveway, since both Hafsa and Ma knew that I want to see Kayla. Just as I turn on the engine, I realize that I forgot the flowers. I must have dropped them when I heard the vase shatter. I get the bouquet hastily and get back into the car. I pull out of the driveway, and start driving along the houses in the neighborhood.

I think back to a couple nights ago when I was talking to Nadia. I was really uncomfortable, since she's one of those... clingy girls. I'm not saying I'm in a relationship with her; no, I've never dated in my life, since it's against Islam. But she seems to be creepily attracted to me. She had a hungry look in her eyes and I just thought that that was admiration. But it didn't seem so the longer we were talking to each other.