Semi-Chapter 10 | Nick | Bye

Fifteen minutes before school, Blake and I decide to go to a nearby café and buy some donuts and coffee. He's still on about Kayla; about how she's making everything impossible to do. The last time we've seen Boss was a week ago, and he didn't look too pleased that we failed, yet again, to kidnap her. I was about to tell him that I quit being in this stupid gang, but after that thirty-minute lecture, and his bulging, red eyes, I decided I shouldn't provoke him anymore.

After paying for our food, we immediately leave the shop, the coffee warming our insides. The temperature has slightly went up a few degrees, but the atmosphere doesn't feel any different. As I chew on my donut, Blake is at it again. "I'm sure that we'll get her this time. We just need to surprise her, you know? Although she doesn't seem like it, she's clever. But I don't want to let that make this task impossible or else both of our arses will get kicked." He spits on the ground and looks straight ahead with stormy eyes. His lips curve into a sinister smile.

He puts a hand in one of his pockets and pulls out a sharp dagger, which seems to be coated with something crimson. My stomach churns as he hands it to me, a smirk planted on his face. He leaves his hand in his pocket, unusually humming to himself as we near the school.

A city bus pulls us at one of the stops. I couldn't have cared less; but once I see Kayla, my eyes widen. I want to yell at her, tell her to run from the bloody bastard that is Blake, but I don't. I know that if I show any indication that I want to help her, than Blake will report about it to Boss. He'll surely have people after me by then.

I notice how her eyes sweep through her surroundings, specifically eyeing a group of people clad in leather. She cautiously walks ahead to the school, picking up speed as we follow her. The bus leaves, and so do the mob of people waiting at the bus stop and the group clad in leather. Blake shoves his coffee into my hand and pulls out a syringe; the same one he must have used to inject Kayla with before that had the sleeping serum. He advances towards her. The next few seconds seems to go by in slow motion: I drop the coffee and donut on the grab, not caring about the mess I've made. My veins pump with adrenaline as I take the dagger and sink it into Blake's side just as he injects Kayla with the needle and whispers in her ear.

She sways around, disoriented, before she loses her balance and topples onto the ground. Blake falls at the same time, clutching his side while I yell Kayla's name, desperate to hear her voice. Blake clenches his teeth and drops down to his hands and knees, enduring the pain I've caused him. He hits head against the pavement the same way Kayla did - and then his breathing slows.

I look around to see if there are any witnesses. I'd be in a crap ton of trouble if there were. Assuring myself that nobody saw anything, I run up to Kayla and shake her violently, calling her name. I see a pool of blood between her and Blake. The blood is coming from both people.

I gently turn her head to the side to see she has injured herself. A blood stain is on her beige scarf. "Oh shit," I mutter under my breath. I dig my pockets to find my phone, but realize it's inside with my bookbag. I swear under my breath before hearing another voice.

A short, blond girl stands there, her hand covering her mouth. Tears run down her face in streams. She makes an inhuman-like sound while shaking her head in despair. She turns to me, anger flashing in her eyes. She walks towards me and pushes me repeatedly, which doesn't affect me at all. "Move! You hurt her! GET OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY!"

I flinch at her voice. It takes me no time to realize she's one of Kayla's friends. I slowly drag myself away and get up, dusting off my jeans, observing her. She holds Kayla's head in her hands, sobbing profusely. Her hands get stained with her blood, but all she cares about is if she'll come through. She glances up at me. "What the hell are you doing? Call the police!"

"I... don't have my phone... with me," I say with a bashful tone.

"And I wonder why she liked you." As soon as she sees the dumbfounded expression on my face, she shakes her head. "Used to, anyways."

I look across the street at the school's parking lot and see the last person walk into the building. It may be the trick of my eyes, but they turn around, lock their gaze with me, and walks away. I shake my head and look down at the girl. "Why can't you call the police?" Just as I ask her that, sirens wail in the distance. I see red and blue flashing lights from a few yards away.

Relief washes over the girl's face, but then confusion overcomes her. She gnaws on her lip, looking around. "Then who did?"

I look back at the doors and see the same person. But I'm only taken aback since it's Stephanie. She witnessed what happened. So she must be the one who called the police.

***

I look at her lay still in the hospital bed, motionless, but alive. She takes uneven breaths as she submerges deeper into her coma. The doctors say that she only fractured her skull, but no sign of brain damage. If the situation were worse, I'd expect to be trampled over by Kayla's friends.

And speaking of her friends, the blond girl, who I learned to be is Katy, is outside in the waiting room, waiting impatiently for me to hurry up. The doctors said that we could both see her at the same time - but Katy couldn't stand the fact of being in the same room with me. She called Kayla's other friends. I was thinking about taking Kayla's cell and calling her family, but first went against it. I may be selfish, but I want to see her for as long as I can, just to remind me that maybe, maybe I saved her. God knows what Blake could have done.

Speaking of Blake, he's in the room next door, getting his wound checked. The doctors and police put me into a brief but agonizing interrogation. They asked me what happened, and I told them the truth. They told me that they'll go into further investigation once Kayla wakes up and Blake recovers.

My hand goes into the pocket of my jacket. I pull out the crumpled piece of paper in it, smooth it out, and fold it in fours. I grab a pen that's on a table next to Kayla's bed and quickly write my name on it. I set the pen and paper on the nightstand, hoping that she'll notice it once she wakes up and reads it. I would have told her face to face, but I know she'd tell me to get lost. And, there's no way I can tell her, so I wrote it down into that paper. I sigh as I rake my fingers through my hair.

A turmoil of emotions rips at me. There's so many things I want to do, so many things I want to say - but I've decided that there'll be none of that.

I walk up to the door. I look back, whisper "Bye Kayla," softly and leave. I walk not only out of the room, but out of her life.

***

Please don't kill me. I wanted to make this longer but it wasn't possible. I have everything planned out in my head and none of that will change until I have to. Anywho, this story is about to wrap up. *sniff sniff* But not just yet! And the bright side is my new story is coming out soon! It's called 'Losing Faith' and I'm really liking it.

Please check out my rant book when you have the time. :)

Comment below who's POV should come next!

Hang tight. Another chapter will come soon.

Assalamu Alaykum and have a nice day doing homework like me. :P