So Sick

The following Sunday, she decided to come early so she can catch him during rehearsals. But he is not there yet when she arrived.

(Asan na kaya yun? On the way na kaya? Tawagan ko na ba? Or antayin ko lang? Arrrrgh! Keep it cool Jea. Keep it cool.)

"Jea, Moe called in sick, hindi sha makakapasok today. So Diego will be filling in for your prod." The floor director informed her.

(Di siya papasok? May sakit? Bakit di niya ako sinabihan?)

Her phone rang.

"Moe?"

"Hi Jea, papunta ka na sa studio?"

"Andito na ako. Di ka daw papasok?"

"Yeah, not today. I have rashes all over, must be something I ate."

"Did you see a doctor already? Are you alright?"

"I'm fine. I took some meds already. If it doesn't subside in the next 24 hours, I'll bring myself to the ER."

"Ok. We'll miss you here today. Pagaling ka."

"I'll miss singing with you. Baka di ko mapanood coz all these meds make me really sleepy. But good luck!"

"Keep me posted about your condition ok? Magpahinga ka."

"I will, don't worry. Galingan mo ah."

"Alright, speak later, mag rerehearse na kami ni Diego."

"Alright Jea. Thanks. Bye."

And the show went on. In one of the gaps, everyone noticed that she is being unusually quiet and they all assumed that it is because he was absent for the day.

"Jea, tama na pag E-MOE mo." One of them teased her.

"Hindi ako E-Moe okay. Hi Moe, get well soon!" (I hope he sees this.)

"Get well soon, Moe! See you next week!" Seconded her friend for cover. She thanked her.

She felt her phone vibrate in her pocket, she discreetly checked who sent her a text.

MOE: THANK YOU FOR THE SHOUT OUT. YOU LOOK SO PRETTY IN YOUR BLUE DRESS.

The camera caught her smiling, right before commercial break.

She sent him a reply.

JEA: AKALA KO MAGPAPAHINGA KA?

MOE: DI NAMAN AKO NAPAPAGOD. I'M IN BED WATCHING TV. NICE PROD WITH MARLO BTW.

JEA: YOU SAW IT? FEELING KO OFF KEY AKO THE ENTIRE SONG COZ NANGAPA AKO SA KANYA.

MOE: OK NAMAN. YOU SOUND GOOD TOGETHER. FIRST TIME I HEARD YOU SING WITH HIM LIVE. AKALA KO SI DIEGO FILLER KO?

JEA: LAST MINUTE CHANGE. NAGULAT NGA AKO EH.

MOE: AH OK.

JEA: ARE YOU FEELING BETTER?

MOE: NOT REALLY. BUT MANAGEABLE NAMAN.

JEA: OK. PAHINGA KA NA. ALIS NA DIN AKO DITO, WALA NAMAN NA AKONG GAGAWIN.

MOE: OK. INGAT KA PAUWI.

JEA: THANKS. SEE YOU SOON.

(Real soon. Hindi naman siguro nakakahawa yang sakit mo.)

When she got to her car, she sent a text to her Mom.

MA, PAALIS NA AKO SA STUDIO PERO MAY DADAANAN MUNA AKO. I'LL BE HOME BEFORE DINNER.

"Manong, punta tayo sa Antipolo." She instructed the driver.