Prologue

It has been years since twenty|one|pilots broke up, but Josh can't throw it all away. At that moment, he thought he could. But boy, had he been wrong.

He knew he shouldn't have done that to Tyler. Music was the one thing keeping him alive. His music was him. "Tyler" was just a shell; the real Tyler was in the music he made.

Josh, stupidly enough, felt at a stand-still. They had been playing music for so long. It didn't grow old, but he felt as if their fans were tired of the same style; tired of them.

It didn't matter that Tyler still felt nervous before every show. Or that Josh still felt butterflies and goosebumps when the crowd sang along. None of that made a difference.

The truth was: they were no longer who they used to be.

All the pain that made them the way they were had faded, and that reflected in their music. It just wasn't what it used to be. And Josh hated the fact that there was nothing he could do about it.

Tyler didn't feel the same. He felt that the music could only help those who were scared, tired, and alone. But Josh knew that Tyler knew that they weren't sad anymore. They were happy. And their music wasn't.

So, Josh had to do the one thing that he thought Tyler would agree with: end twenty|one|pilots. Forever.

Josh didn't expect Tyler to burst into tears.

Josh didn't expect Tyler to beg him to change his mind.

Josh didn't expect Tyler to get angry.

Josh didn't expect to ignore Tyler.

Josh didn't expect for Tyler to try to get the band back together.

Josh didn't expect for the sadness to return.

Josh didn't expect for Tyler to send so many letters.

Josh didn't expect Tyler to fall ill.

Josh wasn't prepared for the consequences of ending twenty|one|pilots.