12. Chocolate Wine and Dine

The following week was actually quite humorous. Every day, I'd walk into my office only to be greeted with another childhood cartoon tie and a large coffee. So far, I had an Elmo one, a toy story one, a blue poke-a-dotted one with minions on it, one had Winnie the Pooh, another was Big Bird from Sesame Street, and another with The Grinch, and yet today, I was delivered one with Snoopy.

They honestly made my day a little better. And I think everyone around the office could tell as they began to notice the little change in something as small as what tie I was wearing that day.

A little note also came in each box, the handwriting all the same with the same little heart. It was obvious by now that it was Ellison. I mean, I figured with the first box based on her words "act like a child" which took me back to my brother's wedding, but every day it became so much more clearer. Although, I'd yet to even talk to her, let alone thank her, since I'd put– what I thought was space– between us a few weeks ago.

Wrapping the silky white tie with the black outlined Snoopy around my neck, I smiled and shook my head before making my way over to my desk. Today was Friday which meant that Ellison didn't start class until eleven. Deciding to get over myself, I dialed her number and placed it on speaker as it started ringing so I could stand and walk over to the door to lock it.

She picked up on the third ring, her voice small and hushed. "Hello?"

I didn't hesitate to get straight to the point. "Why are you doing this, Ellison?" I exhaled, a smile twitching at the corner of my lips.

"Niall?" She paused for a moment before lightly replying, "Well, don't I at least get a thank you, Mr. Horan." A smile shone through her words and was instantly brought to my face.

"My apologies. Thank you, Ellison. But why?" I asked as I sunk back into my big, leather chair.

"It's called learning to be a kid, Niall. To have fun. You're way too... shut off."

"I like being shut off," I replied.

"Exactly. Which is why I'm doing this." She yawned before clearing her throat. "So what do you think about them?"

I glanced down to the tie around my neck, running my fingers over the silk. "I like them." I honestly stated. "They're unique. Different."

"So I did good?"

"Wonderful." I chuckled. The line went quiet, neither of us knowing what to say, but I don't know, it was nice to hear her voice again.

I glanced to my calendar seeing GALA printed in green permanent ink on the 16th of November.

Ellison quickly caught my attention again as her voice rung through the line. "What are you doing tonight."

"Seeing you." I stated, which I think threw both of us off guard. Ellison was quiet for a second before laughing.

"Seeing me? Are you sure? Because last time I checked, you have no time for friends and foolishness."

"Maybe I take my words back." I challenged. I really did want to see her. Something about hearing her voice again made my body ache in loss. I'm surprised and a little indifferent about saying this, but in a way, I missed Ellison.

"And you're not even going to ask me first if I want to see you? Not very gentleman like, Mr. Horan."

"I'm a grown man. I don't need permission." I shot back which made her lightly gasp. I chuckled lowly. "I'm picking you up at seven. Have a bag packed."

"And now you just assume that I'll come home with you?" Ellison tusked, although I knew that she'd probably have it packed in less than an hour.

"Oh, darling, any woman wouldn't dare to turn down this offer."