67. She's Ready

Crawling into bed on that cold, Tuesday night, something felt off. It felt weird.

Yes, I had been in this huge argument with Niall and yes, I was now camping out in my childhood bedroom, but it was more than that. I physically felt...unbalanced?

I was a mix between hot and cold. My head was ready to explode like a nuclear bomb. My back was nothing by pins and needles, my stomach was in knots, and something just felt off for fucks sake.

This didn't feel like a normal night.

I didn't feel normal.

For some reason, I seemed to have these nagging thoughts about my baby, too. Call it mother's intuition or whatever, but this baby wasn't sitting normally inside my uterus. She felt so much lower than what she was supposed to be.

And after spending nearly an hour of flipping from side to side, I huffed in discontent before throwing the covers off of my body and quickly standing.

This was fucking annoying.

"Why can't you just let me sleep?!" Growling in aggravation, my fingers tugged at my hair. My head then fell slack against my shoulder blades and I let out a pathetic cry that sounded more like some animalistic yowl.

Today was too much to handle. I just needed it all to come to a screeching dead halt for five fucking minutes so I could screw my head on straight. And of course to top it all off, my core began to tighten as a dull aching spread down my uterus. Rolling my eyes, I tried to take in a deep breath to relieve some of the stress and push through this set of Braxton Hicks.

Lately, they'd only been lasting a good ten to fifteen minutes and I could push through, it was just always so uncomfortable...However, after thirty minutes of pacing around my bedroom with no relief, I was starting to grow slightly concerned.

The pain wasn't getting any worse, but it was definitely present. Glancing to the clock, I made sure to start keeping track of every contraction, noticing that they were staying around a steady rate of 6-7 minutes. Making my way out into the kitchen, I figured that maybe some water would help.

I was surprised to see my sister awake on her phone, though. She was plopped up onto the countertop. She then glanced to me, giving a small grin.

"What are you doing up, Ev?" I asked and grabbed a glass from the cupboard to fill before draining it down my throat.

"Talking to Kev," she blushed just as her phone buzzed in between her hands.

"Who's Kev?" Giving a suggestive smirk, I rested my hands next to her and tried to peer around her phone for a good look. However, Evelyn was quick to block her screen, laughing as she sent out a secretive response.

"He's no one..." Her cheeks reddened though, meaning that he definitely was someone.

"Has he taken you out on a date, yet?"

"No, it's not like that..."

Furrowing my eyebrows, I stood straight to rub my tightened stomach–feeling how hard it was (which was odd because I'd never felt that before), as I tried to figure out what she meant.

"Are you sleeping with him? Like casual?"

"I mean..."

"Evelyn," I shot down. "Have you not taken a good look at your sister, yet, or what?"

"Okay," her voice rose as she drew in her defense line. "First of all, I actually know what a condom is unlike some people. Second, we do more than only have sex. There's just no feelings involved."