20. Damsel in Distress

Everyone has that one aching desire to be told that it's them. That they are the one you choose.

But, what I've come to learn is that one of the hardest decisions a person will ever make in life is choosing to walk away or to try harder.

So maybe that is why she looked so distraught as she stood at the top of my staircase, stripped of all dignity; tears lined her rosy cheeks, her messy curls cascading down her bare back as her silk robe fell down her pointed shoulders. It was as if she didn't know what to do with herself. As if I'd just told her that the world was ending and no one was safe.

I don't think either of us were expecting this. Not so soon, anyways.

"So you're just going to walk away?" Her words lingered in the air, stuck on some invisible line to dangle above my head until I was able to find the right thing to say in order to deteriorate them. "You're a fucking coward, Niall Horan."

And there they were. The first words of hatred spat out at me. I was actually surprised that I hadn't heard them earlier. I figured that would've been her first go-to. Not the silent treatment.

However, I knew they were true. I'd known it for years. Matter of fact, I'm almost positive that it was my father who first told me.

"Maybe I am, baby, but we all have our own issues." I stated calmly, glancing up at her from the under the balcony. "You should know that first hand."

I watched as Ellison's heart visibly broke in front of me and as much as I hated to see her as lost as she was, it wasn't my problem that she had grown so attached. I strictly told her that we weren't going to be anything more than two close friends. I told her multiple times. The fact that she expected more was not my issue to deal with.

When we woke up this morning, everything was perfectly fine. Hell, it was more than fine, it was great. I had opened my eyes to see a half made bed, and actually smiled at the hazy scent of perfume that lingered in the air.

I'd stumbled from the bed and into the bathroom to wash up before slipping into a pair of jeans and a navy sweater. My hair was brushed back and teeth were brushed before I decided to slip downstairs. Ellison was posted up on the island, a light pink, silky robe adorning her slim figure as she smiled and conversed with Nicholas.

I did not like that she talked with my employees, strictly because they were there to only do their work, however this morning I did not comment. Instead, I just moved to sit at the table. "Good morning, Sir." Nicholas immediately sat my freshly made plate in font of me.

"Good morning, Nicholas." I glanced over to see Ellison join me with a bowl of cereal. "What is that?"

"My food?" I just stared at it for a while before glancing up to meet her eyes. I was curious as to why she didn't want what Nicholas had prepared. Instead, she shoveled a spoonful of condensed sugar into her mouth and grinned.

"How can you stand to eat that stuff?" I grimaced. "It's not even real food."

"Sure it is. It's got some wheat somewhere under all the sugar and carbs, and milk is good because you only like the fat free – basically water – kind of milk. And there's like one gram of protein!"

"Okay, sass master, eat your damn food." I commanded, giving a hint of a smile after. Ellison seemed to catch it as she smirked back, but shoved another large spoonful into her big mouth. I just focused on eating my chopped vegetables.

"What are your plans for the day?"

I glanced out the large bay window to see the bare branches of the tress rattle in the wind. Everything looked so cold and bare and brittle. As if it would crumble like a grain of sand if it was touched. "Don't really have any plans that I know of. The weather report said that it was supposed to snow this afternoon." Ellison frowned. "Why, what are your plans?"