18. It's Just How It Is

Little pre-chapter note: I want you guys to know that in this book there will be some references to religion, if you have not noticed yet. You will see why later, but for now, please know that it is solely for the purpose of the story. I will never force my religion on anyone or disagree with anyone's thoughts on religion. I believe what I believe, and I respect what other people believe. If I happen to offend you in ANY WAY with what is said in my story, PLEASE come talk to me and I will do my best to alter my words in the book to make sure they don't offend anyone.

In the story, Ellison is a Christian and Niall is an agnostic, although he comes from a catholic background. Many references towards a God will be made, among with praying. I just want you all to be aware.

If you don't believe in any of that, I do not judge you and I take in your opinions and respect them. All I ask is that you do the same while reading the book.

Thank you guys. I love you all beyond the stars! Xx -A

---

The scent of green bean casserole and a stuffed turkey filled my senses, causing my stomach to grumble as I stepped through the door. I bent down to take off my boots, turning to gently place them nicely next to everyone else's.

"So is he coming?"

I screamed and jumped, whipping around to see my mom standing there directly behind me with her plastic spatula in hand. Her short, dyed blonde hair rested perfectly against her collar bones, and her white blouse dipped over the waistline of her dark MissMe jeans.

I placed my hand on my chest and smiled. "You scared me– Yes, Niall is coming, but all I ask is that you all don't treat us like we're anything." She smirked. "Seriously, mom, I think we're on rough waters right now, and this is the last thing he needs or even wants." I paused. "And he will ask to be called by his last name, so... please. Just do that one thing for me." I breathed quietly.

"Why his last name?"

"It's just how it is." She said no more.

We followed the bare hardwood flooring through the cherry red hallway and back into the light brown-walled kitchen. I noticed that they redesigned the cupboards and had replaced them with a white wood. Everything else was pretty much the same– all modern and cleaned to perfection which means that my mother must've started cleaning yesterday, knowing her.

"Sorry, guys." I apologized as I stepped back in. My grandma was the first to come over and give me a hug. She wrapped her arms around my shoulders before pulling back and placing her palms against the apples of my cheeks.

"How's my beautiful girl?" She smiled. Her short brown hair was slightly curled, displaying her big brown eyes.

"I'm good. Been very busy lately, but I'm doing okay." I smiled back, my eyes roaming over her silly turkey sweater.

"That's good, my dear."

"I like your sweater, nana." We both laughed.

"This 'ole thing? I actually got a Christmas one too." She laughed. "My friend, Cindy, made them for one of her craft shows!"

"She made them?" When I was younger, my grandma used to take me to a few craft shows every year and although I didn't like to ask for anything, I enjoyed viewing the items that the women had spent days and nights working on. Everything was so pretty and all hand-made. I found it pretty neat. However, we haven't gone in a few years.

My nana nodded. "Well, it's beautiful." I added with a smile and kissed her cheek.

"Why don't you go say hi to your pops. He's been waiting to see ya." My grandma pushed and let go of me so I could walk into the living room.