23. Sometimes, Sorry is not Enough

A thick, heavy blanket of white coated the tops of the skyscrapers in the distance, drowning the ground below. People crowded along the edge of the sidewalks, their wet and heavy boots kicking at the snow that was tainted a light brown from the dirt. Thick jackets were bundled around their rosy cheeks, scarves, and hats blanketing their chilly heads. Everyone always talked about New York City winters as if it was a dazzling winter wonderland. But that truth was that it wasn't anything like that.

It was cranky people pushing through others to get to their destination quickly so they weren't stuck freezing in the streets. It was muddy snow that was plowed to the side and honking horns of lines of cars that would barely move because they were afraid to crash. It was slushy streets and slippery sidewalks and chilly cheeks and frozen fingertips. It was below zero temperatures and children complaining and cars sliding through stop lights. A winter wonderland description didn't fit a place like the inner city. Especially not one like inner New York City.

The glass was cold under my touch, but I didn't bother to move as my eyes roamed all over the grey, cloudy skies. We'd been hammered by twenty-two inches of snow in the past four days, and to me, this snow was anything but wanted. A deep sigh was withdrawn from my nose as I turned to see Emily sitting down in the small leather chair in front of my desk. A panicked look was etched onto her beautiful face as if she was stuck in some psychotic horror movie.

"Are you firing me, Sir?" The first words out of her mouth left me stunned to the deep core. It hurt a little to hear her be so insecure of her position. She was by far my favorite employee and why she would question her position was beyond my wits.

I placed my hand down in my slack pockets and furrowed my eyebrows. "Is there any reason why I should fire you, Emily?" I asked, giving a baffled look.

"I don't think so, Sir."

"Good." My lips slid into a full smile. "I just wanted to see how you have been?" I started to walk back to my desk, taking a seat in my large chair. "I haven't been in a whole lot lately, which is highly unlike my character, so I just wanted to make sure that the pressure was not too much on you."

I could tell that she had relaxed quite a bit as she smiled back, tucking a piece of her wavy blonde hair behind her ear. It was in a shorter bobbed cut than I'd last seen.

"Everything is running perfectly, Mr. Horan. I love what I am doing and all the extra work has been keeping me on my toes."

"That's great, Emily. I won't be in tomorrow because I will once again be at Royal Oaks, and then I leave in a week from today to go to Orlando, but after the holidays, everything on my part will be pretty much back to normal." I smiled, tapping the end of my pen against the small stack of manila folders that I had yet to go through.

"How are all the Royal Oaks performances going? I read a small passage about your help in the New York Daily a couple of weeks ago. The people seem to enjoy the fact that you are reaching out." Emily informed. "I think that it's very good for what you have coming with Apple and all in the next year."

"The performances are going great. The dancers have yet to get a trip, so I'm hoping that this dance that they have been invited to will go great. I'd like them to venture out of their comfort zone a bit and I feel that this will help." I smiled and held her blue-eyed contact. "As for the people, I'm glad that they get entertainment out of what they hear, but I'm only doing this for the school because I want to. I agree that publicity is great, but it's only a small factor as to why I do what I do."

"Well, you do an amazing job, Mr. Horan." It was a heartwarming compliment.

"Thank you, Emily. But I must give you your credit because without you, who knows where I'd be," I chuckled and she lightheartedly smiled.