Chapter 5

~Paul~

Janelle. She was the only thing on my mind now. Getting to spend time with her after school was exactly what I wanted to be doing. She was everything I'd always wanted in a girl and more. She was so beautiful and talented not to mention kind and sweet. I wondered if there were more layer to Janelle of things I had always dreamed of having in a girlfriend. I headed on over to her house and knocked on the door hoping to make a good first impression with her. I heard Janelle rush over to the door and open it. "You're here!" she smiled as she let me in "Of course I am." I smiled "I wouldn't miss spending time with you for the whole world." I said honestly as she blushed. "Well it's great to get to spend the day with you." she smiled as she let me in and closed the door behind me.

We headed up to her room where she had the song set up for us to rehearse. Janelle smiled at me the entire song  like she meant every word to me. I of course looked her right in the eye and sang to her. "Wow...That was amazing." she smiled. "I agree. I think we're going to do great on this assignment. I smiled at her. She nodded. "You really are what makes this song special." "No way Janelle your voice just blows my mind." I said honestly. "You don't find it too ordinary or blending in with the other country girls?" she asked me timidly. "Of course not. Janelle you have just a special quality about you that makes you unique. The other country girls are good but you're Janelle Arthur and you have a great way of delievering songs and meaning them more than anyone else in the entire school." "I needed that." she smiled a bit after what I told her. "Anytime. You're everything and anything anyone could want as a singer and a person." I said. She blushed again.

I leaned in and did something I probably should have waited awhile before doing. I kissed her. She didn't back out right away we kissed for quite awhile. She didn't seem to know what to do and was a bit hesitant in the kiss. Slowly she pulled away. "I....I....better go...." I said feeling like I'd done the worst thing to Janelle. "Already?" she pouted. "Yeah my folks are expecting me." I lied as I grabbed my things. She did seem upset I was leaving but I wasn't too sure about that I felt like an idiot for kissing her right away. What was I thinking? What if she already had a boyfriend? The more I thought about it the more I felt like an even worse person.

~Hollie~

School was just like any other day I walked to music with my best friend Joshua Ledet to find out what our next assignment could possibly be. "Well class this is one of the most talented sophomore classes we have ever had at NMA. Today I will be calling out the people who are contenders for being in the Winter showcase good luck to all of you. The people who will have a chance to perform in the Winter showcase are as follows Colton Dixon (no surprises there), Casey Abrams, Aubrey Cleland, Scotty McCreery, Joshua Ledet (I hugged Josh "Congrats!!" I smiled "Thanks Holliepop." he smiled back), and Hollie Cavanagh." WHAT! I had made it. This had never happened to me before. Only 5 of you will be definitely in the showcase since we have a majority of seniors. I know that means only one of you will be out but we only made it 5 because this has been one of our strongest classes. If your auditions fail to impress us we may put it back down to 3 which means half of you won't be performing is that understood?" We all nodded. "Good now we're going to go to the Freshmen class. We only have 2 contenders in that class only one of them will be  in the showcase which is highly abnormal." Wow a freshman actually in the showcase...that hardly ever happens. Those 2 people are certanily lucky.

We headed down to the freshman class "Class two of you in this classroom are contenders for this years Winter showcase. One of you will be performing in the winter showcase which is highly unusual for us to consider two freshmen so consider yourselves lucky. Okay our two contenders are as follows Angela Miller and Lauren Alaina. To the rest of you freshmen don't feel like this is anything again you even some of our best students were not in the showcase their freshmen year." Schyler, Colton's sister looked crushed. I felt terrible for her since that was definitely me last year. I made a note of it to talk to her. I think she needed it. 

We then went down to the junior class where the contenders were Haley Reinhart, Candice Glover, Stefano Langone, James Durbin, Pia Toscano, and Phillip Phillips. The seniors who were contenders were Erika Van Pelt, Josh Holiday, Jacob Lusk, Reed Grimm, and Paul McDonald. We then headed to a seperate class to learn about what needed to be done for the showcase. "For this years showcase the stakes are going to be higher than ever before this year you can perform either an orginial composition or a cover song. We expect to be blown away by whatever decisions you make Seniors, of the ones we have selected this year we will only be picking two because some of our younger grades have that much talent. Our two freshmen only one of you will be performing in the showcase. Juniors, Four of you are performing and Sophmores 5 of you may be performing depending on your auditions. The best of luck to all of you. Winter Showcase will be right before the break on December 20th." 

We headed back to our classrooms wondering how in the world were we going to pick out our songs for the audition which we knew were going to be our final songs. I asked if I could go down to the freshmen class "How come Miss Cavanagh?" asked Ms. Lopez. "I need to talk to someone..." I said honestly. Ms. Lopez agreed to it and excused me to go talk to Schyler. I went to the Freshmen class and called Schyler out of class. "What are you doing here Hollie?" Schyler sighed. "I'm just worried about you Sky...." Hollie sighed. "Don't be okay. I get it I'll never be Colton." she huffed. "No you won't but you're Schyler Dixon and you are amazing. Listen I wasn't chosen my freshmen year either." I said honestly. "But Colton was." Schyler argued. "Are you just worried that you're not living up to Colton?" I sighed. Schyler hesitated then nodded. "You don't have to live up to him okay. I have two older brothers so I know how you feel. Aaron was always a straight A student and I never was teachers always compared me to him and I just knew I was me and that Aaron was Aaron and not everyone can apperciate our strenghts and weaknesses." I said trying my best to relate.

"Hollie you and Aaron want to do different things let's face it I'm never going to be as succesfull as Colton in music I might as well give up now." she sighed. "Listen to me. Don't. Don't ever give up. You and Colton have different voices and not everyone can apperciate it." I said. Schyler seemed to agree with that. "I miss you being Colton's girlfriend." Schyler sighed. I sighed "I do too....I know he broke it off with me but you still feel like my little sister and I have to take care of you." I said as I hugged Schyler. "Thanks again Hollie for being here for me. Maybe you can come over again sometime to talk?" she pleaded. "Okay...." I said. I didn't know how Colton would feel about that but I wanted to do it for Schyler. She needed me more than anyone  I knew.