Chapter 4

Editing 2/2/2018
They had many little adventures on their walk. From Naruto falling and tripping to him getting hit in the face with tree branches, plus his epic roll down the hill, the giggling and laughter never seemed to stop. After Hinata had helped Naruto pick himself up and dust off they started to walk again. As they walked through the forest and training grounds, Naruto was trying to find the right opening to ask the question that had been bothering him for a while. They just walked along till the sun started to sink and he couldn't have been happier but he needed to ask.

Finally he couldn't take it, and blurted out the question that had been chewing on his mind.

"Hinata do you want to go out on a date? Like a real date. With food and all that."

Naruto scratched his head nervously. He really hoped she would say yes. He didn't know what he would do if she said no. If she said yes he'd be the happiest guy in the world. If she said no, he didn't think she would but who was he to know what she was thinking, then he'd be devastated.

To give an answer to the emotions raging through Hinata, the first and foremost feeling was shock. First Naruto had gone on a long walk with her, talking and listening the whole time. He had a lot of mishaps but he always brushed any accident off with a smile. Something was on his mind all afternoon and was making her curious. She wondered what he wanted to say. Knowing Naruto it could be anything from serious to just some trivial detail his mind wouldn't let go of. She opened her mouth to at least try and ask him what he was thinking but he beat her to the punch.

"Hinata do you want to go out on a date? Like a real date. With food and all that." Naruto had a puppy dog look that was begging her to say something. To say yes. And she wished she could.

This was not just an invitation to keep going for walks or a promise to try and hangout out after running into each other. This was Naruto asking to take her on an actual date. With food and everything! How should she answer? Should she say yes? Just nod? All of the multiple possibilities swirled and churned in her head making her chakra flutter throughout her body until till she finally fainted from the embarrassment she had worked her self into.   -  

Naruto was growing anxious. It had been almost 2 minutes and Hinata hadn't said anything. He watched as she looked lost in thought until... Hinata started to wobble and then she started to fall. Naruto raced over and caught her before she hit the ground.

"Hinata!" What had he done wrong? Did she not want to go out with him that bad that she fainted? Kurama chose this moment to speak up. "Kit." "What? Can't you see I'm a little busy!" Naruto said irritably. "Calm down," Kurama sounded like a tired parent as he continued. "She doesn't hate you. I've seen how much this one cares for you. She probably just got really excited or you surprised her. Just set her up against the tree and wait for her to wake up." "Okay." Naruto didn't have any other ideas and honestly Kurama's idea as to why she fainted made the most sense.

He leaned her up against a tree and sat down next to her. He fiddled with his hands until he noticed hers. He had placed them on her lap because he didn't know what else to do. But looking at them he marveled at how they looked. Her skin was pale but beautiful. Everything about her was beautiful. Her eyes, her face, her hands. Everything. She was kind and caring and beautiful. For perhaps the millionth time he cursed himself for not noticing her before. Now he couldn't imagine being without her.

When they had been in Kakashi's office he had grabbed her hand. He didn't know why he did just that it calmed him down when he had to talk about their time on the moon. By playing with her hands he had noticed something. Her hands were really soft. He wondered if she used lotion or if her hands were just that soft. But despite being soft her hands were still tough. There were callouses from holding kunai and she had tiny scars all over her hands. Most likely from training.

On impulse he reached out and grabbed one of her hands. He laced his fingers through hers and set their in twined hands on his lap. He couldn't explain it out loud but the feeling of joy he got just from holding her hand made his heart pound. He sighed and settled in for a wait. If memory serves she usually stays out of it for 20-25 minutes. It had been 5 minutes already. He closed his eyes and leaned back and closed his eyes.

Hinata's eyes fluttered open. She looked around. She was in the woods. But why..... Suddenly it all came back to her. Naruto's asking her on a date. Her reaction and then most embarrassing the fact that she fainted. She blushed and then realized that even though the rest of her was a bit cold her left hand and arm were warm. She looked over and saw that her hand was being engulfed by a big hand. She followed the arm until her eyes rested on Naruto's face. She blushed again.

He had sat by her after she had fainted? What had he thought about her fainting? Did he still want to go out with her? Hinata hoped he did. She stilled as Naruto let out a snore. He had fallen asleep. Despite the occasional snore he look relaxed as he slept. She knew that he was always on call for dangerous missions and ready to help the village at all times. He always was goofing off but she knew he took the job seriously. She sat there flexing her toes and her other arm to bring back the feeling and warmth to them. Her left arm was warm from Naruto's body heat and her face would not stop blushing.

Naruto muttered something in his sleep. It wasn't clear but her heart leapt when he mumbled out something that sounded like her name. But she was probably just imaging it.

A dead brown  leaf fluttered down from the tree over there heads. It landed in his hair. She reached over with her right hand and plucked it out of his hair. She dropped the leaf and bit her lip. This was her chance. She had always wanted to do this but was to embarrassed. No she shouldn't. Not while he was sleeping. But if he was awake then he might say no. She took a deep breath and moved her hand back up. She slowly moved her hand until it was just an inch away from her target. She steeled her nerves. She could do this. She moved her hand and touch his hair.

It was soft. Really, really soft! She had always wondered what his hair felt like. It was soft and silky. Though it was shorter than during the war she didn't really mind. She took up courage and ran her hand through his hair. It was soft and warm. How could he have this soft of hair? Did he use conditioner? If he did she wanted to know the name of it. It was then that Hinata had realized that Naruto wasn't snoring anymore. She looked down from his hair and met the pair of deep blue eyes that seemed to stare into her soul.

He hadn't meant to but he had fallen asleep. He had been dreaming of the mission to the moon. Except for one thing. Tonerei wasn't Tonerei. He was a giant bird. As weird as it seemed that was just the normal pattern his dreams took. Replacing some villain with an animal. He was at the part when Hinata had gone with Tonerei the bird for unknown reasons. He felt a soft pressure on his head and his eyes snapped open.

Thankfully he recognized it was Hinata right away. She was biting her lip and was totally absorbed in something. He felt it again. The soft pressure on his head. He realized that Hinata was... petting him? No he realized she was running her hand through his hair.

It felt nice to. She was running her hand through his hair again when she suddenly froze. Her eyes drifted down and met Naruto's. He stared into those beautiful pale lavender eyes. He hoped that his eyes said he didn't mind. He really hoped he didn't look like a staring creep. A blush spread across her face and she made to pull her hand from his hair but he raised the hand not holding Hinata's other hand quickly and grabbed her hand. He pulled her hands together in her lap and leaned in. He hoped she didn't mind but at this point he was pretty sure she wouldn't. He leaned until he was nose to nose with her. He said in a low voice, "May I?" She gave a short nod and Naruto's heart raced as he pressed his lips against hers.