Chapter 26

After a long internal debate Kakashi had decided to send Hinata with Naruto and Shikamaru. He had talked to Hiashi and Hiashi put up only a little fight. Probably because Shikamaru was going with and could act as a chaperone. When Kakashi had gone to tell the three they all where happy to go, though one gave a standard complaint. They went to go pack and meet at the gate.

They all arrived at the gate at relatively the same time. Hinata and Naruto arrived together since the met up a few streets back. The two where talking to the gate guards waiting when Shikamaru walked up. They discussed a plan of travel and where about to set out when Shikamaru's mom came flying down the road yelling for him to wait! She came to a stop next to the three breathing hard. She held something out to Shikamaru.
"What is this?" He asked as he took the small box.

Shikamaru's mom straightened up and brushed off her skirt. "It's your lunch you lazy boy. You left it sitting on the counter."

Shikamaru nodded his head. "Thanks mom."

He then waved for Hinata and Naruto to follow him and he walked out the gate. Hinata and Naruto shared a small smile before walking after Shikamaru. Shikamaru took the lead since he knew the path. They chatted idly for awhile before they fell silent. They had been walking for about an hour when Shikamaru suddenly turned and faced the two. "Do you guys know how to get to the Sand Village on your own?"

They nodded. "Why?" Hinata asked.

"This is troublesome to explain but, Temari has me linked to a summon scroll. And I have her linked to one. We use them to go between the villages quicker. Save troublesome travel time." Naruto snickered.

Hinata looked worried. "Isn't that dangerous?"

Shikamaru scratched the back of his head. "Kinda. We had some help though."

Naruto looked puzzled. "Its dangerous to summon humans? But the toads have me on a summon scroll."

"That's different. As summons themselves the toads know what they are doing. Temari and I got help from seal masters and a few summons as well so it's safe for us."

"Oh." Naruto still looked confused.

Hinata cleared her throat. "So my guess is you want to have Temari summon you so that you don't have to walk all the way?"

Shikamaru scratched his head again. "Pretty much. You two can take all the food rations and water and split it between yourselves. I did have to walk this path quite a few times before we set up the scrolls so I have a really good map. You can take it."

Hinata sighed. "Fine Shikamaru. You can go. We will see you in three days. You really are lazy." He shrugged. They divided up the rations and water and Shikamaru handed over the map. Shikamaru stood up.

He gave a lazy smile and pulled a scroll out of his pack. He bit his thumb and a drop of blood fell on to the scroll. Nothing happened. "Why are you still here?"

"That was just to let Temari know I'm ready to be summoned. That way we don't just pull each other through at embarrassing moments."

Naruto laughed. "How many times did that happen before you came up with that idea?" Shikamaru didn't get a chance to answer because he disappeared into a cloud of smoke. Hinata and Naruto looked at each other with grins on their faces. "Hey Hinata....."

"What Naruto?"

"We're alone now."

"So it seems we are."

"That means I can kiss you now, right?"

Hinata paused and seemed to think about it. "I believe it does." And Naruto lifted her chin up for a kiss. It was a short kiss because they had to get going but it was a kiss nonetheless. They started to jog along at a steady pace instead of walking so they would have more rest time. When they reached the dessert they where going to have to switch to traveling by night to avoid the sun. It would cold in this season at night but having to wear an extra jacket was better than burning up in the sun.