Chapter 19

Naruto groaned. His eyes where heavy and he was still tired. But he felt rested. He cracked open his eyelids and looked up at the ceiling. This was his living room ceiling. Why was he in the living room? He then became conscious of the weight on his chest. He looked down to his chest to see a mass of midnight blue-black hair. Hinata's.  He peered around the side of her head to see her face. She was asleep. She was so cute sleeping. Her lips where slightly parted and she was breathing softly. He grimaced. He knew he snored badly. He was surprised she had ever slept in his company. He looked around and began to remember what had happened right before they fell asleep. After their 'confessions' he had pulled her into a hug and had just held her there. She had relaxed into his hug and before he had known it she was asleep. She had murmured, "So warm." Right before she had fallen asleep. What that had meant he didn't know but he was happy she could get some sleep. It had only been a few minutes later that he had fallen asleep him self.

He looked around the room until his eyes landed on the clock. SHIT! It was 2:19! The where over four hours late! They had been sleeping for almost 6 hours! How had this happened! He gently shook Hinata's shoulder. They where going to be in trouble! "Wake up Hinata! We are late!" Hinata groaned. Her eyes fluttered open and she looked around slowly. Naruto sat her up on his lap. "We fell asleep! We are four hours late for our meeting with Kakashi! We've been asleep for over six hours!" Hinata's eyes opened wide and she sat up straight. 

"We need to go! They are probably looking for us!" Naruto nodded. Hinata stood up and stretched. her shirt pulled up around her waist showing her heavily muscled stomach. She didn't have defined abs like he did but he could see the muscles rippling under her skin. He gulped. He stood up and stretched out his own arms. He didn't know it but he was receiving a similar checking out by Hinata. She watched as his muscles stretched taught under the skin of his arms and stomach. If they weren't already late she would kiss him now. She was putting on her shoes when Naruto came out of his kitchen and handed her a piece of toast. They could eat a full lunch later but for now the toast was a welcome. Naruto put on his shoes and they grabbed their coats. 

They went out the door and held hands as they  ran for Hokage tower. They made it across the village to Hokage tower in four minutes. They stood panting for a few seconds. Hinata gave Naruto a quick kiss on the cheek before they walked in. They got waved in immediately by the secretary. They nodded to the guard and walked in. Naruto held the door for Hinata. He then walked through himself and quickly regained his hold on Hinata's hand. They stood side by side as Kakashi sat ignoring them at his desk. They had expected outrage maybe disappointment but this? This was unnerving. He finally looked up. "How nice of you to join me. I was worried something had happened to you two." He stared pointedly at Hinata. "You're lucky I didn't go to Hiashi." Hinata hung her head. Naruto was about to protest Kakashi's treatment of Hinata when Kakashi held up a hand to stem Naruto's comments. "It's in the past now. Let's just get this briefing done and then you can tack onto the end your excuse for being late." They nodded and took seats on the office floor.

"It was a run of the mill escort till the end of the first day escorting back. We where ambushed. Hinata handled the main confrontation. They had insulted her and she responded accordingly. Quite well I may add." Hinata blushed lightly and shook her head.

"You over simplified it Naruto. How about I tell the story and you help." The 'question' she asked was not a question but an announcement of what she was going to do. Naruto smiled and sat back as Hinata relayed the story of their mission. Kakashi listened with rapt attention as they talked. He gave a light chuckle as she described their fake monster fight.  He jotted down the main points on the mission brief sheet. When Hinata got to the part where Naruto had thrown up the chakra shield Kakashi's eyes widened. "Naruto, you have a very low success rate with that in training. I'm surprised you pulled it." Naruto shrugged. The urgency of the situation had called for use of the shield. He hadn't thought about it much. Just that he needed to protect the people of the caravan. Naruto took over the story when it came to Hinata's fight against the leader of the thieves. The way he told it Hinata had gone up against a mountain of a man that moved like a snake.

Hinata shook her head with a small blush on her cheeks. "Now you are exaggerating. It wasn't a big fight. Just a simple charge, push back, chakra points blocked, and then it was over." Kakashi pondered over the two stories for a few seconds before writing down, Hinata Hyuga engaged leader of thieves and the fight was ended quickly in favor of Hinata Hyuga. 

He looked up and made the continue motion with his hand. So they did. Nothing interesting had happened after that so they finished soon after. After they had finished Kakashi cleared his throat. Naruto and Hinata looked at him and waited. "You two are both extremely capable ninjas and young adults in your own rights. But please, don't let the 'secrecy' of your relationship go one much longer. I spoke with Hiashi..." Hinata's eyes widened in fear. Kakashi saw the reaction and reassured Hinata. "I didn't say anything just asked how he was doing. He made the comment that he is doing well but he hasn't seen much of you lately. I take it you've spent the majority of your time with Naruto and not in the compound?" Hinata reluctantly nodded. Kakashi sighed. "I'm not saying that you should head right over to the compound and yell it at the top of your lungs, but you need to tell Hiashi. At this point I think he's the only one in the village who doesn't know."

Naruto gulped and looked at Hinata. Her grip was tight on his hand but when she looked Naruto in the eyes her gripped relaxed a little. She nodded. Naruto felt a small sense of relief flood his system. He smiled and said, "Might as well get it done sooner rather than later. I rather him have a chance to get used to me as your boyfriend before we take any other steps." Hinata's eyes flared open and she stared at Naruto with her mouth hanging open. "What? Did I say something wrong?" Kakashi muttered under his breath, "Good ninja? Yes. Subtle romantic? No." He shook his head in sympathy. This was going to be an interesting journey for the two.

Hello! Merry Christmas Eve! I hope you all have a wonderful holiday!  Merry Christmas!