Chapter 30

This was it. It was now or never.

Naruto and Hinata had returned to the Hidden Leaf village without further incident. Two days later Naruto was sitting across from Hiashi trying to ask the question that could change his life for better or worse. He may have already given Hinata the ring but her fathers approval was very important. If Hiashi said no, he didn't know what he would do.

Hiashi drew Naruto's attention back to the conversation they where having by clearing his throat. Naruto's eyes snapped up and Hiashi saw a raging storm of emotions. Naruto obviously had something he wanted to talk about. Hiashi decided to give him an opening.

"How was your mission to the Hidden Sand? You and Hinata where gone for almost a month. What happened?"

Naruto gulped. "The mission was great. We worked and trained with Gaara, Temari, and Kankuro. We built a total of six apartment styled buildings. Everything was perfect. Until the third day before we left."

Hiashi was a bit surprised. He hadn't heard anything about this from Hinata. "What happened?"

Naruto clenched at his pant leg in a small rage of fury. At what Hiashi did not know yet. "Hinata was almost killed."

Hiashi slammed his hands on the table and Naruto flinched. "What happened!"

Naruto began shakily. "W-we where working o-on one final building before we left. Some clones and I were lifting up a central beam. Multiple things happened at once. A rope snapped, clones ran out of chakra, and Hinata was not where she should have been. The beam began to fall. Right towards Hinata." They sat in silence for a minute. "I couldn't move at first. I was terrified. Hinata screamed and it woke me up. Just before the beam came crashing down I managed to throw up a shield of Kurama's chakra. There was a cloud of dust in the air for a few seconds afterwards. I couldn't find her. She didn't answer when I called. I thought she was dead. Then the dust settled and she was alive. She was still alive."

Hiashi looked at the young man in front of him. Naruto and Hinata had been through so much together. Hiashi had a good idea where Naruto was going. "Go on."

Naruto took a shaky breath. "Those few seconds were and will always be the worst thing to ever happen in my life." Naruto looked up at Hiashi and a single tear slipped out of Naruto's eye. "I don't know if I'm being irrational or just crazy. But I can't wait Hiashi. Please," Naruto bowed his head, "Please let me marry Hinata."

Silence hung in the air. Naruto didn't look up till he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up quickly to see Hiashi with a solemn eyes and a tiny smile. "Naruto. When Hanabi was born their mother died. My wife, died. I know the agony you felt in those few seconds. I know the irrational crazy thoughts that are filling your head. You want to put some sort of claim or hold on what you have left. I did it poorly and ended up pushing Hinata away. But Naruto, I can see how sincere you are. You really do love Hinata. I give you my blessing. We can start talking about wedding plans some other day. Go. Find Hinata and tell her."

Naruto stared in wonder at Hiashi. He rocketed to his feet, gave a gigantic smile, and rushed out of the room to find Hinata. Hiashi stayed where he was. He never truly thought the day would come when he would be happy about seeing his daughter marry what he used to consider a demon. A shout echoed from somewhere in the compound walls and Hiashi smiled. He reached into his kimono and pulled a picture out of a secure pocket on the inside of the garment. The picture was of him and Hinata and Hanabi's mother. They were young in the picture. Newly weds at the time. He stared at the picture until the sound of running feet could be heard coming towards the room he was in. He stood up tucking the picture into its pocket near his heart and walked over to the door.

Before he could open the door it opened and Hinata came flying through. She launched herself in a hug at her father. Hiashi stumbled back a step before wrapping his arms around Hinata. It had been a long time since he had last given his daughter a hug. Hiashi looked up to see Naruto smiling and standing outside the door in the hallway. Hiashi waved his wrist and Naruto's smiled turned to shock before he walked in and was pulled into the hug by Hinata and Hiashi. They stayed that way for a few more seconds before Hinata slowly pulled away. Naruto wrapped his arms around Hinata's waist and planted a kiss on the top of her head.

Hiashi watched them and could feel that they really truly loved each other. He had heard of their petty arguments and their one big argument, and how they worked it out. It wasn't all love and kisses. It was hard to love someone. Love meant accepting a persons flaws and then trying to compromise on how to fix your flaws together. Love meant being there for the other no matter what. Love wasn't easy. Love wasn't all romance. Love was harsh, cruel, and it would sometimes even seem impossible. But Hiashi could see it. They were willing to put everything on the line for each other. This was the love that was rare and pure. Would his daughter get angry at Naruto? Definitely. Would Naruto get angry at Hinata? Most definitely. But would that stop them? Most definitely not.

"So," he smiled at the young couple, "While you're here let's set a date at least. Everything else can wait for now. There is a calendar on the little table over there. Naruto go grab it." Naruto nodded and walked over and grabbed the calendar. Hiashi sat back down at the table he had been talking with Naruto at not fifteen minutes earlier.

Hinata and Naruto flipped through the calendar until they settled on a day. Hiashi looked at the date they had picked out. In less than three months his daughter would be married.

Hey people! They are getting married next chapter! Finally! I decided to keep this ending a romantic and fluffy ending. I am so thankful for all the reads and support you guys are giving my story! I've said it all before so no need to repeat. As always please comment if you find grammar or spelling errors so I can fix them! See you for the next chapter!