Chapter 12

Naruto had been talking so long his throat hurt. He was at the part were he had just come back from his three year trip. The old man shook his head as Naruto told of how he had made Hinata faint within the first five minutes of seeing her. He was about to go on when the man held up a hand. He paused and waited for him to speak.

The old man sighed. "I have two questions. How could you be so stupid? And second, what does she see in you?" Naruto shrugged. "Since we got back from our latest mission I've asked my self that a million times a day. And I don't know what she sees in me. I'm just happy that she cares enough for me to stick by all my stupidity."

The old man, whose name was Naruto still hadn't figured out, sighed and shook his head. "You have to be the luckiest man in the world. To have someone like her love you and be able to keep loving you even in your stupidest minutes." Naruto smiled softly. "Yeah. I really am."

Naruto did a quick scan of the road behind him before he started up his story again. He continued to talk until the caravan had to stop. A horse had lost a shoe so they would be staying put for about fifteen minutes. "I'll be right back," he told the old man.

Naruto ran off to the front and found Hinata reading a book. Since when did she have a book with her? He cleared his throat and she jumped. She closed her book and looked at Naruto. She stared at him curiously and started to blush. Naruto held out a hand and said, "C'mon there's someone I want you to meet." Hinata looked at him with curiosity in her eyes. "Okay." She took his hand and they walked to the back of the caravan line.

They walked to the wagon where the old man was sitting on the drivers bench of the wagon. The old man waved to the pair as they strolled over. He looked over the two. They had an ease they around each other was something he rarely saw in married couples. 

Hinata introduced herself and gave a polite bow. He raised his eyes and introduced himself. "My name is Tanaka." He inclined his head the young women. He had seen the Hyuga girl once before about four years ago. From what the boy said about their age she would have been about fourteen when he saw her. She had matured into an beautiful woman. He saw the pure adoration in Naruto's eyes.

He smiled and said to Hinata, "Naruto was telling me the story of how he ended up with the most beautiful girl in the world at his side." Hinata blushed in shock at the compliment. Naruto stared at the old man. Had the old geezer just said what he thought he said?

Naruto jumped up to the driver bench and the turned to help Hinata up. He grabbed her hand and helped pull her up. She sat down next to him and didn't let go of his hand. "So what part of our story were you at?" "I had just gotten back from my trip with Jiriya. I was at the part where you had fainted against the tree."

Hinata blushed slightly at the memory. "So my guess us you want me to help tell the story?" Naruto nodded. "That was the plan." Hinata nodded and started to tell about her side of the story. They worked together to tell their story. They had to stop when the caravan started moving again. They made the agreement to talk around the campfire tonight.

Naruto walked Hinata back to her wagon. This time when he kissed her cheek he did it on purpose. Hinata gasped then turned to face him. She pulled his face down level to hers and kissed him on the lips. It was brief but it left Naruto felling like he was on fire. Hinata jumped up on the wagon and disappeared inside.

Naruto dumbly turned around and zombie walked to the wagon where Tanaka was sitting. He silently walked around to the back and climbed up.  He scanned the road and sat there thinking over how her lips felt on his. The where the softest thing in the world. This was going to be the longest hour ever.

Hinata was smiling as she scanned the road ahead. Still nothing. She went back and read a page of the book she was reading. She finished the page and did another scan. She had found the book in the wagon and had asked the disgruntled driver if she could read the book. He had muttered something under his breath but nodded. She had developed the system of read a page or two then scan the road. So far it was working well.

When the caravan had stopped she had sat back to just read for a few minutes and was surprised again when Naruto came to get her. After she took his hand he held her hand as she jumped down from the wagon. They walked over and had made their introductions.

They sat on the bench and talked about the first few weeks after Naruto had gotten back from his training. She hadn't realized how fast those few minutes had gone by when the call to get moving came. They walked backed to the lead wagon and Naruto had kissed her cheek. She was surprised at first and didn't really know what to do. Then she remembered something the heroine of the book she was reading had done.

Hinata turned and pulled Naruto's face level to hers and then kissed him. She almost broke the kiss right away from the literal spark that jumped between them when she kissed him. But she held true and kissed the man she loved. She broke the kiss panting. Naruto's eyes were wide. She abruptly turned and climbed onto the wagon. She sat down and held her face in her hands. Why had she done that! The wagon started to move and she cooled her head. She had a job to do.

She scanned the road and then picked up her book. There was an hour before they were going to stop for the night so she settled in for the drive. Read a page, scan, read, scan, read, scan, and repeat. It took her all of five minutes to realize she was no longer paying any attention to the book.

The only thoughts in her head were thoughts of Naruto. She felt a blush keeping up on her cheeks. No! She scolded her self. Do not think about it. But her resilience failed quickly. She barely managed to remember to do scans in between thoughts of Naruto.

The book lay forgotten at her side as she day dreamed of her and Naruto together. She scanned the road and picked something up for the first time. It was a single person about 200 feet into the woods. She signaled the driver to stop and he pulled on the reins and stopped the horses.

Naruto was at her side in an instant. "Where?" He said quietly. She pointed and his eyes slitted to sage mode. "I sense him." She nodded. "I'll go." She looked over to Naruto. "Why do you get to go?" Naruto sensed the little argument coming and quickly pulled together a basic stupid excuse. "Because I'm already going." And he jump off the wagon into the woods.

Hinata muttered a few colorful words under her breath. She had spotted the man. She monitored the situation with her byakugan. Naruto had snuck up and was watching the man from up in a tree. Naruto eventually came back to the wagon. He shook his head and was about to give the all clear when the first arrow struck the wagon.