Chapter 3

Vee never really paid attention to what there was in the business world while she travelled for modelling, and it took her by surprise that just like in the fashion industry, businessmen seem to have a small world. She only had to tell her driver, Max, where she wanted to go and he already knew how long it would take for the travel. She found herself asking if Max happened to ever work for the Gallaghers.

"Funny you should ask, señorita," Max chuckled. "I was trained by Mr. Alister Gallagher. Driving, martial arts... He was the reason why your father trusted me enough to look after you." 

Feeling a little guilty that she never cared to ask about Max, Vee tried to hide her blushing cheeks by looking out the window. Now that she would think of it, she realized that she got so used to having everything done for her by either her father or brother that she never really paid attention to who worked for her and where they came from. She only considered to research when she had to deal with people from the fashion industry. 

Realizing that she will likely get lost in the world of business, Vee mentally reminded herself to start researching the inevitable. She suddenly had an idea that her father might have considered it in advance, and to keep her on track, he chose to have her marry someone trustworthy. Like Conan Gallagher.

Max announced their arrival in front of the tall building which says Gallagher Industries. Vee stepped out of her sedan and looked around. Tall buildings after another made her feel that she was really in the middle of a business district. Although her family's hotels were located in the same vicinity, she still wondered how she could miss all the beauty of high-rise buildings. She looked back at Max who pointed at the building belonging to the Gallghers. It was neat and sleek, a serious ambiance compared to the lively and feel-at-home atmosphere of the Rustik - Yates Hotels. What caught her attention was the logo at the entrance where the letters of the name were molded to look like a pistol, with "G" as the trigger. 

"Their business is centered on making specialized cars and they have a security agency," Max whispered as he ushered Vee to the lobby where a beautiful receptionist was waiting. "Please usher Miss Venera Yates to the Office of the President." He told the receptionist and the guards in a proud manner. 

Vee didn't like the way she was regarded by the receptionist who made it obvious that she was displeased. Her sunglasses were covering her puffy eyes, and she fought the urge to snap as the lady's eyes travelled from her head to her chest. Even the guards were obviously unhappy that someone like her comes unannounced and demands to see their president. Obviously, Max's thick accent might have garbled the sound of her last name and it might have not registered in everyone's ears, plus it was just the first time she ever set foot in the building. She suddenly thought of how her father would react if he were in the same situation.

Instinctively adjusting her posture like she always would whenever she was displeased, Vee approached the receptionist and leaned over the counter. 

"Rebecca," she said after glancing at her name tag, "I have to inform you that you will start seeing my face every day from now on." She smiled threateningly. "So if you please, call Conan Gallagher and tell him that I am seeing him in his office in 5 minutes." She looked at her watch dramatically. "Now, which floor is his office?" 

Vee had to admit, she was impressed that Rebecca didn't look swayed at all by her menacing approach. On the contrary, the receptionist looked calm and collected as she smiled back.

"Can I have your name, miss?" Was all Rebecca said, as she picked up her phone. 

"Venera Rustik Yates." 

Everyone at the lobby looked at the direction where the announcement came from. Vee raised her right eyebrow as she turned and found the speaker at the elevators area. She noticed how Rebecca started fixing her already sleek ponytail, and the guards slowly backed off to their stations. Looking back at the man who spoke her name, Vee finally recalled that it was Conan. She fought the urge to whistle as he descended the stairs from the elevator area since he looked like one of the models who worked for Guy. Wearing an all-black suit, Conan's fair skin stood out and his piercing eyes were like blinding spotlights that roamed the entire lobby. His gait was that of someone proud and powerful, but his smile was full of charm.