Chapter 5

Vee and Brigadier General Sherman started talking about the real reason why the Yates heiress is out hunting for the youngest Gallagher. It surprised Vee when the Brigadier General admitted he was expecting her, and disclosed that eventhough he wanted to, he never cooperated with Conan for the sole reason that Reynold and Alister had strict orders of not disclosing the truth to anyone other than her. It addressed Vee's confusion earlier when the Brigadier General looked like he was excited to help her when Sergeant Franklin ushered her into the office.

Brigadier General Sherman admitted that it has been a challenge to hide the truth from the Gallagher soldier that it was not entirely true that his father, Alister, never knew that he was in the military. The old Gallagher had connections in the military having served the country at some point, and it would be highly likely that one of his sons would volunteer to enter the camp. What was unlikely though, was the fact that the youngest Gallagher does not want to be discovered. 

"Jordan Gallagher has become one of my assests," said the Brigadier General. He pouted thoughfully as he ushered Vee back to the hallway. "He is also a member of the Black Ribbon Elites, working as a field agent. I wonder if he is prepared to show himself to the world."

Vee felt a little disturbed by the idea of having to deal with more complications. With the old soldier's words, it seemed that the youngest Gallagher has his own world. And she is about to penetrate it. 

Brigadier General Sherman mentioned that a group of media people are about to meet him for an interview in a few minutes, and it would become big news if she would be found lounging in his office. Not wanting her purpose revealed untimely, Vee agreed to move to the visitor's area where there would be more people and she could blend in. "Feel free to move around," was the Brigadier General's welcoming words, and she got excited having the freedom to check out a military camp for the first time. She found herself more awed at the extent of the fields as she walked around, and the excited noise of the recruits from the other end of the barracks made her want to peek but having to wait for Jordan Gallagher to arrive restrained her from moving around that much. She decided to settle by the rows of tables where soldiers talked with their visitors. She felt a little sad when she saw a family of three sharing meals with their soldier father, which made her miss her father and her brother. She felt the need to shield her eyes with her sunglasses again.

She was quietly staring at nothing when she suddenly felt warmer. Fanning herself with her hand, she took off her light coat and tied it around her hips while looking for a vacant table where she could wait. As the Brigadier General told her, Sergeant Franklin was made aware to take Jordan Gallagher to the visitor's area and she would like to be somewhere easily spotted.

Vee's attention got diverted when she spotted Sergeant Franklin near the entrance, closely followed by another soldier who was looking grumpy. She wondered if it was the person she was looking for, and whether he would strangle her for disturbing his peace. From afar, she assessed how to approach the two men. Inwardly thanking the heavens for making her wear her sunglasses, she discreetly studied the other soldier's appearance. His arrogant stance and strong, bearded jaw made him look less approachable, but his eyes seemed to say otherwise. She didn't want to stare too much, so she averted her already hidden eyes to check the name stitched on his fatigues. Gallagher. The confirmation made her stomach churn in a funny way. She subconsciously adjusted her posture as she walked towards the two, feeling like she was walking for a show. She greeted Sergeant Franklin before turning to the youngest Gallagher.

"You must be Jordan Gallagher? I'm Vee," she said, finally extending her hand in a manner that spoke don't dare ignore my hand or I'll cut your balls. "Venera Rustik Yates" 

*****

When Guy and Lenka found out about Jordan Gallagher's existence, Vee had to endure describing to them how her future husband looks like. For the hundredth time, to kill their excitement, she told them in details how arrogant, ungentlemanly, and unsophisticated the soldier was. Everytime she had to relate to them how her first meeting with Jordan went, she could not help but wrinkle her nose in disgust. She still has not gotten over the fact that the Gallagher heir did not care to shake her offered hand in greeting. She felt insulted, and even more when he suddenly stormed out the private room in the visitor's area where they stayed after she stated her purpose of marrying him. She had to entrust Sergeant Franklin the documents which Conan provided her since she could not go back to the Brigadier General's office due to the ongoing press conference. She had to leave the camp with no clue at all as to what her next steps should be. Conan's sudden disappearance also left a toll on Vee since she didn't have anyone else to confide to concerning her betrothal. She had no idea how to move on after meeting the youngest Gallagher.