One

Cadence wasn't your normal rogue, while other's of her title was insane, aggressive and just down right out of control, she was not

Cadence wasn't your normal rogue, while other's of her title was insane, aggressive and just down right out of control, she was not. She had a conscience. Most rogues left their pack or were banished for one reason or another, but even still there was no mercy for those who carried such a title.

The packs were vicious and quick to make a judgment. That was the main reason Cadence had never tried to go to a pack.

Cadence woke up two years ago with no memory of where she came from, her only memory was her name. Since she awoke with no memory, she's embraced the life as a rogue, moving freely and only doing what she could to survive. She often wondered if she had a family out there or if she had a home, but would quickly douse the thought because it always made her depressed.

She didn't want to believe that she had a family, because her having a family would mean that she lived out here in the wilderness striving and fighting just to survive. Bearing the different seasons, hunting for food, and stocking up so that she had enough to survive the winter and worse surviving against other rogues by herself.

No, Cadence didn't have a family. The only person she trusted was Mac, an older rogue who'd found her and took care of her. He practically treated her as a daughter and often had come to check on her.

Cadence moved to the stream that ran near her camp and grabbed a hand full of water.

She splashed several handfuls against her face, neck, and chest washing away the dust and blood that had accumulated while hunting for food and fighting off rogues that she'd run in to.

  It was exhausting for a female rogue, but Cadence had slowly become used to it, her body toughened against the seasons, she'd lost weight in the beginning as she adjusted to what seemed to be her new life, but in the end, she survived.

Cadence was about to stand when the wind shifted and a scent filled her nose, her body instantly tensed and she stood slowly and calculating as to show no distress or suspicions.

She turned, looking out into the wood's that surrounded her camp and her chest vibrated with the force of her growl. "Show yourself!" She ordered, her eyes never stopping to scan her surroundings.

Her body instantly deflated when she watched Mac come out of the bushes, "Mac. You startled me." Cadence admitted, she'd feared that the rogues that had chased her earlier, had somehow followed her.

"Did I?" Mac said, amused. Her growl had suggested anything but startled. "You seemed perfectly fine to me. It's always good to be alert, even in your own camp." Mac said, and it wasn't anything that Cadence hadn't heard before. Mac was the one who taught her how to survive, basics in shelters and everything she needed to know out here in the wild.

"I don't suppose you came here to compliment me on my instincts?" Cadence stated, raising her brow and curious as to why her mentor, so to speak, was here. It was still daylight and while he had visited her during the day a few times, he'd told her it was best to move at night. That he was less likely to be seen, and less likely to lead anyone to her.

"Your time here is up." Mac's voice had taken on an edge that Cadence knew all too well. He was warning her. Preparing her for further bad news.

"What is it, Mac?" Cadence was now on edge, ready to bolt.

"There's chatter among the males that a female is alone. And, it won't take them long to pick up your scent. I don't want them to catch you, Cade. You have to run, find a new spot." Mac said moving closer. He put his hands on her shoulder and looked at her sadly. "I'd protect you if I could, but an old wolf like me won't be able to hold off a group of rogues."

Cadence smiled, hoping to cheer him up and get him out of his obvious upset. "You've taught me well Mac. I'll be fine."

Mac caressed Cadence's cheek, "I know you will. You always were a fast learner. I remember the day I found you. No memories, it must have been very hard on you, but you adjusted beautifully." Mac stated.

Cadence laughed and opened her mouth to begin to ask when or if he knew when these rogues would come but noticed an immediate difference in not only Mac's stature but his expression. Cadence took a deep breath and the multiple scents filled her nose, "they're coming Cade! Run!" Mac suddenly yelled, and Cadence's body filled with fear.

She didn't hesitate to turn and run, she knew Mac would be alright, but if she stayed she wouldn't be. So she ran, and she ran as fast as she could. The howls that rang behind her only filled her with more adrenaline.