Ten

Connor knew she was right

Connor knew she was right. Accepting a rogue into a pack was a rare occurrence. He would like to say that his pack wouldn't have as much discrimination as other pack's, but he couldn't be sure himself. He did however make his brother a promise, and one he intended to keep, more so now that he's met the female in question. "I'm afraid it's not so simple. You cannot simply release me, that would be up to my brother. He is unlikely to release me, he has grown quite attached to you, and while you put a show on for him a moment ago, I can tell you are just as attached." Connor didn't question it, he had seen her determination to protect Joey when Jake charged her, and he had seen the under line sadness as she turned Joey away.

Cadence's mouth thinned. She didn't want to admit that he was right, but seriously, what did he expect? She couldn't stay, even if Joey didn't release the Alpha from his promise. "You can't expect me to stay..." Cadence was unsure even as she spoke aloud. The slow grin that claimed the Alpha's face nearly had her sucking in a startled breath. It was the first time she'd seen him smile, and while she had seen Mac smile often while he was around her, it was different now. She just couldn't explain it.

"I do, and so does Joey. As I said, my mother has been dying to meet you and since the doctor said that you would be well enough to move once you were awake, you can meet her tonight at dinner." Connor knew that he'd dropped a bomb shell on the female, but her expressions were too interesting, too free. She seemed so innocent, but he knew she had to be in her twenties at least. All that time as a rogue, she couldn't be innocent. He'd just have to keep reminding himself. Later he would find out if she had been in a pack and cast out, or if she had simply left. Connor ignored her surprised expression, got up from the chair and grabbed the bag his mother had put together. "This is cloths, and I'm sure a hair brush and anything my mother felt you needed. There is a shower through that door which is stocked with soap, shampoo, and conditioner if you need. I'll be waiting outside." Connor didn't wait for her response, but simply set the bag down on the chair he had previously been sitting in and then turned and left her too it.

Cadence stared at the door, mouth gapped open in shock and disbelief. Who did he think he was? Order her around like that. She wasn't a member of his pack, and certainly not one of his minions or whatever they were called. She didn't have to do a damn thing... She crossed her arm's childishly and huffed out a frustrated breath. Her eyes moved to the bag in the chair and her curiosity mounted. She was curious to see what was inside, and then her head turned towards what she assumed was the bathroom. She bit her lip, her mind filling with the idea of a hot bath or shower. It had been so long, but Cadence had a slight memory of long showers and baths. As the memory took over, her nose filled with a phantom scent of Lavender. When she opened her eyes and took a bigger whiff the scent was gone as if it was never there. Cadence blinked and grimaced as she figured out it was just a memory. One of millions she was missing.

Finally giving up, Cadence grabbed the bag and slowly moved to the side of the bed. She sighed when her feet touched to cool, tiled floor. She knew she had to give her legs a moment to regain themselves or else she would most likely fall flat on her face. After a moment of simply swinging her legs back and forth she stood, surprised that she wasn't as shaky as she assumed she'd be. She walked to the bathroom, not hesitating to turn it on as hot as she could handle before stripping the sheet away and stepping beneath the spraying water.

When Cadence emerged from the shower, the entire room was filled with steam and the mirror coated with it. She dried as much as she could before she opened the bag. It contained a hair brush, toothbrush and paste, a plain black t-shirt, jeans, shoes and a belt. Cadence frowned when she didn't see a bra or panties, but decided that was probably wisest. Quickly dressing, surprised that everything fit her well, Cadence moved on to brushing her hair. She was now thankful that she'd used the conditioner since her hair was matted even after the shower and would most likely take thirty minutes to brush through without. When she was satisfied she tugged the shoes on, noting that they were a tad big on her and left the bathroom. She giggled when she opened the door and steam immediately flowed out. Cadence heard a deep chuckle and her gaze snapped to the new comer, a male she didn't recognize. He stood nearly as tall as the Alpha, but his shoulder's were smaller and so was his muscles. He also had brown hair, and eyes that matched. "Who are you?"

Jake was more than amused when the female emerged from the bathroom in a cloud of steam, he assumed she had enjoyed her shower, and now that he had a good look at her was slightly disappointed that her laugh disappeared due to his presence. "My name is Jake, it's a pleasure to meet you, officially." He had hoped to make her a bit more comfortable by introducing himself, but his introduction was met with more stiffness, and a narrowed gaze.

"Jake? The same Jake who had attacked me?" Cadence asked, remembering that Joey had mentioned his name. If she was correct, Jake had only attacked because he sought to protect Joey.

Jake flinched a bit, but nodded in confirmation. "Yes, I did. And, now that I know what happened, I am sorry for reacting without knowing, but I thought you were a danger to Joey..."

Cadence waved away his explanation, she was sure had she been in his position she would have done the same thing. "I understand, no reason to explain yourself to me." She tilted her head, wondering now why he was here. "What are you doing in here?"

"Connor asked me to bring you to the pack house, I didn't know at the time you were in the shower or else I wouldn't have entered the room, but it appears we both have great timing." Jake admitted. "Whenever your ready we can go."

Cadence's shoulder's sagged, she had hoped the dinner was all just talk. She was rarely afraid of anything, but the thought of walking out of this room surrounded by pack members frightened the daylights out of her. Everything Mac had told her, bounced through her mind. She tried to hide the rising fear, but apparently it wasn't good enough.

"Don't worry, the only people that are going to be present is Joey, Connor and Isabeth and myself of course." Jake assured, and seeing the confusion cross her face, he explained, "Isabeth is Joey and Connor's mother. She has been wanting to meet you for the past few days, but you've been out of it."

Cadence frowned, she'd heard that from the Alpha as well, but she couldn't imagine why Joey's mother would want to meet her. Maybe this wasn't a friendly meeting, maybe she planned to kill her? She couldn't trust a pack, it was the one thing Mac was most confident about. After apparently too much hesitation, Jake spoke again. "Cadence, no one will harm you. You may not believe me, since it was I who attacked you first, but you are to be honored here. You saved the Alpha's brother, and the former Luna's son. That isn't something that we can look past, no matter your status."

Cadence felt a little relieved that Jake seemed genuine, but at the same time she wasn't sure if she could actually trust them. Again, memories of Mac and his teachings came back. Sighing, she straightened her shoulders. She wouldn't let them see her as weak, and she definitely wouldn't let them pull the wool over her eyes. She'd stay alert, and watch her back while she was stuck here. "Very well, take me to your Alpha."