Twenty-Four

Cadence wrung her hands as she watched out the window

Cadence wrung her hands as she watched out the window. She watched as Connor's pack gathered down in the courtyard. She was beyond nervous and the more people that gathered, the more nervous she became.

"You need to stop worrying." Connor said from the door. Even at the distance he could see the tension in her back. This was more stressful then he believed it would actually be, or at least hoped. He hoped his pack would just be happy for him and let it go. He closed the distance between him and Cadence and turned her towards him. "I will be with you every step of the way. You font have to worry, your father will be there as well."

Cadence sighed, feeling a bit more relieved. "You're right. I'm over thinking. We should go, from what I can see they've all gathered."

Connor nodded and led Cadence from the room, every step that they took the more tense Cadence became. When they made it outside and stopped infant of the whole pack, Connor literally had to hold Cadence in place. "I have called all of you for some very important news." Connor paused, listening to the pack begin the chatter. When it died down he continued. "I have agreed to help Alpha John Monroe reclaim his territory and have promised him my packs full support." Connor tightened his arms around Cadence.

Cadence took deep breaths, she couldn't let them see her fear. Raising her head she looked over the pack. Cadence eyes stopped on the man she had run into before. She couldn't recall his name, but after a moment she remembered it was Malic. His eyes were hard and narrowed as he returned her stare.

"I have also claimed my should mate. Cadence. Some of you met her or at least knew of her."

The moment Connor stopped talking the pack erupted into chaos. Some yelled their obvious displeasure, some hurled insult after insult at Cadence herself.

Cadence could tell Malic's voice was the loudest and she could hear his every insult. "You're making the rogue bitch our Luna?!" Malic screamed and then began to move towards the front.

Cadence tensed. All she could see was a fight about to break out. This is exactly what she feared. She didn't want to come between. Cadence was suddenly feeling angry for his packs disrespect and could no longer contain herself. "ENOUGH!" Cadence screamed, the pack instantly quieting.

Connor had moved himself in front of Cadence about to take control when Cadence's voice rang out. He moved to the side so he could watch her and seen her face bright with anger and her eyes narrowed.

Cadance moved forward, "you are supposed to honor and above all else be loyal to your Alpha! What is so wrong with me that your willing to disrespect your Alpha?!" Cadence demanded, a bit surprised that it took a moment for someone to speak up.

"You're a rogue. That is enough right there! You can't be trusted. For all we know you have some plan with your other rogues to destroy our pack!" Malic yelled, pointing and swinging his finger around accusingly.

Cadence could see her father moving towards him and quickly grabbed him, stopping him with a shake of the head. When she was sure her father would stay put she turned back to Malic. "I am not trying or planning anything. If I had, I wouldn't have returned Joey. I would have kept him for ransom or something. I wouldn't have fought for him. I risked myself to bring him, knowing that I could possibly be killed at any time." Once Cadence began she couldn't stop. "All of your anger is because of my title. A rogue. You have no clue who I am as a person, what difficulties I've been through. You know absolutely nothing about me. What right do you have to judge me? You who have a family, you who have a pack to watch your back. You have food, a roof over your head, others to keep you company and a bed to sleep on. Let's not forget you have heat. Out there, us rogues don't have that. We fight each other for everything we have. We fight over food, space, warmth. Hoping to survive another day. For two years I have fought for those same reasons, not knowing if today was my last." Cadence felt her eyes burn remembering her lowest times.

John's eyes misted with tears. He hadn't realized his daughter felt that way, hell he couldn't even tell what she was thinking since she couldn't even remember anything at the time. That was the reason he had Mac watch over her. John watched as Connor hugged his daughter to him and sent a glacial stare over his pack.

"Cadence isn't a rogue, she is Alpha John Monroe's daughter. But, even had she been rogue she is who I choose. You should above all else know that I would never put you in danger, and you have betrayed me by believing I would do otherwise." As Connor spoke his pack bowed their heads in shame anf guilt. He knew they probably felt bad now, but right now he had to comfort Cadence. Steering her away from the pack, he retreated back into the house.

Joey crashed into Cadence making her gasp in both surprise and from the sudden lose of breath. "Cade! Is it true? Are you going to be my sister??" Joey's eyes were wide and hopeful.

Cadence chuckled and hugged him tightly, happy that she no longer had to worry about never seeing him. Now she could watch him grow. "Yes it's true."

Joey jumped up and down, then ran off healing for Isabeth. Cadence laughed, smiling at Joey's innocence.

Connor turned Cadence and leaned down, kissing her forehead. "I am beyond proud of you love. You stood up for yourself. You will be a great Luna, as you were always meant to be." He said, confidently.