Three

Cadence had run the entire day, night, and into the next morning

Cadence had run the entire day, night, and into the next morning. The air was chilled with the coming winter and Cadence knew she'd have to stop.

She needed to find shelter so that she could rest awhile and then she would decide if she needed to find a better spot.

She took in the sounds and scents of the new area. She could smell other wolves, but they didn't seem close to her. Cadence began to look around for a place to rest. After a while of searching, she found what appeared to be a small cave. Taking a deep whiff she didn't smell any other animals inside the cave and smiled.

At least she wouldn't have to worry about a bear, or worse another wolf. Happy with her find, she turned and moved around the surround area. Familiarizing herself.

Cadence was just about to head back to the cave that she'd found when she heard whimpering, it was so light that at first she thought she was hearing things. Cadence turned to continue on when she heard the whimper yet again. This time, she was sure she'd heard it and decided to investigate.

Slowly with caution she moved towards the soft continuing whimpering and whining and blinked a few time's when she saw a pup laying against a tree.

Cadence looked around, taking in the scents again and was more alert now than she was before. No mother would leave her pup to fight the cold alone, but still she smelt nothing. Confused she looked back at the pup, and noticed the small shivers that ran through him.

Cadence's heart softened, she may be rogue and she may only rely on herself, but she couldn't turn her back on the pup if it's mother had been killed or worse abandoned it. Slowly with her hands out she walked closer, the pup's head jerked up and it tried to crawl even closer to the tree. Cadence crouched down, and smiled. "Don't worry little one. I won't hurt you. Where is your momma?" Cadence made sure to keep her voice soft and gentle. Hoping that the pup wouldn't run from her. She wasn't surprised when the pup didn't answer, but rather whined louder. "Shh, you can't be doing that out here. Other's may hear you, I promise you I won't hurt you. I've found a shelter not far, you should follow me so that you can get warm."

The pup seemed to be interested in the warm part, and shakily got to his feet. Cadence could see that he was still weary of her, but when she turned to lead him back to cave he followed. It took a bit longer to get back due to the pup's obvious stiffness or numbness. Cadence wanted more than anything to pick the pup up, to begin warming his small body, but knew the moment she tried the pup would run. And, why should she care? She wondered to herself just as they reached the cave. "Go inside little one, I'll find us something to eat." Cadence urged as the pup moved past her and into the cave.

Cadence wondered what to do about the pup as she hunted. She could just leave him, but then she knew if she did he would die. She didn't have the heart to do that to something so small, so innocent. Cadence knew, that she would have to watch over the pup, hopefully he had other family that he could go too, she'd raise the pup if necessary. Her only obstacle was the other rogues.

Cadence put her mind to the task ahead of her and that was finding food, she'd already found several berries, nuts and was lucky enough to find some mushrooms. She was sure they'd be the last before winter hit. Cadence returned to the cave, hoping that what she'd found was enough. There were no sighs or scents that suggested an animal would be near, so really they would both have to deal with this.

"Hey pup, shh don't be afraid. I brought some food, granted it's not meat, but it will hold us over." Cadence assured gently as she put her offereings in front of him. His small ears perked and his head tilted with interest. He tried to get up, but Cadence noticed that his muscles had stiffened. Cadence worried over that, she needed to massage his muscles to get the blood flowing back, if she didn't- it wouldn't be good. "My name's Cadence, but you can call me Cade. What's your name?"

Cadence had waited so long for his reply that she was sure he wasn't going to tell her. "Joey.." The pup said cautiously.

"Joey, that's a fine name. Joey, I must be frank with you. If you want to survive out here, your going to have to trust me." Cadence was solemn as she spoke, and could see Joey stiffen in response. "I won't hurt you, but if you tell me where your family is or if you have any I could possibly help you get back."

"I'm not a rogue!" The pup seemed to take offence to the small hint of no family, and Cadence couldn't help, but think his growl was adorable.

"Oh, your from a pack then? Which pack?" Cadence asked, her brow raised.

The pup took longer to reply, seemingly to debate what he should and shouldn't tell her. "I'm from the Slade pack." He whined at the end, and Cadence heart nearly broke when he bowed his head.

"You've gone so far from your territory, but don't worry I'll get you home." Cadence promised, "Joey I  know trust is earned, but right now permission or not I need to massage your muscles. If I don't and they continue to stiffen then you will be in pain. And, the blood flow will be hindered." Cadence warned as she got closer to him, he didn't move away and Cadence took it as a good sign to begin.

If he chose to bite or attack her he wouldn't do much damage, but he could still cause a nice gash. She began slowly massaging his legs, back, sides and neck. By the time she was done, she noticed the pup had promptly passed out. Cadence petted his fur softly, "you've been through a lot haven't you?" She asked, even though she knew he wouldn't answer.

Small tremors still racked his body, and Cadence knew she had no choice, but to shift and use her wolf's heat to warm him. Moving away she slowly stripped, the cold air nearly stealing her breath as she removed her cloths. Once she'd stripped she concentrated on her wolf, and began to hear the cracking and felt the reshaping of her bones. When she opened her eyes next, she was on four legs. She moved to Joey and wrapped herself around him. His black fur standing out like a beacon against her white fur.

Joey instantly woke, and his small wolf eyes widened. "Shh Joey it's still me Cade. Go back to sleep, I'll keep you warm." Cadence nudged his neck gently, insisting that he go back to sleep and without another word he did.

Cadence took a moment to look over him for wounds, she'd been too concerned with loosening his muscles earlier to notice and was happy when she saw nothing. She took in his size, and while he was large for a pup, he still held vulnerability. He was young, but she had no doubt he'd one day be a great wolf. She would love to watch.

Cadence shook her head, banishing the thought. Joey wasn't hers, and her job was to return him to his own family. She couldn't become attached.

*
*
*
*

Just to clarify since this story line, and the version of wolf is different than my other wolves. Yes, Joey was in wolf form, and yes he could speak to Cadence's mind, just as Cadence spoke to his at the end. Usually, you have to be a pack member to speak to another wolves mind, but I decided this would be a nice and new idea to introduce.

I hope you like it!!!