Eleven

Connor wondered what was taking Jake so long in retrieving the female, but then when he looked at the clock, he realized Jake had been gone only ten minutes

Connor wondered what was taking Jake so long in retrieving the female, but then when he looked at the clock, he realized Jake had been gone only ten minutes. He was probably just now making it to the pack hospital. Connor closed his eyes, wondering why he felt so anxious. He didn't have the time to read further into his feelings, his mother's voice broke through and distracted him. "Connor, where is she? What does she look like?" His mother began to ask, but didn't give him the time to answer any of her questions. "I can't wait to meet her! Gosh, this is so exciting. Who knew that a rogue could be so- heroic?" Connor took the time to look at his mother who was practically vibrating in her seat with excitement.

"Mother, you have to remain calm. We still don't know much about her, and if she feel's closed in she may attack." Connor said reasonably.

"She wouldn't do such a horrible thing!" Joey piped in, glaring full force at his brother for suggesting such a thing. "She's sweet and caring and, and she just wouldn't do something like that!" He finished, huffing out a breath of irritation.

Connor raised his brow's and shared a look with his mother who looked to amused for Connor's liking. "We don't know that Joey. I applaud her for protecting you, and for promising to see you home, but the fact is she's still a rogue. We don't know who she is, what she's done before now. She can't be trusted." Connor knew the moment he opened his mouth, that he should have just kept his mouth shut, but he had to tell it like it was. He didn't want to believe bad things about the female that had saved his brother, but he also had a pack to protect.

Joey's face lit up with anger, Connor compared him to a tomato in color. His lips twitched in amusement as his brother exploded. "Don't talk about her like that! She's not some dog that need's to be kept on a leash! She saved me, she could have left me out there. She isn't someone you can pair up with the rogue's we've seen!"

Connor was about to open his mouth to say that he wasn't meaning to, but Joey's eyes widening and looking behind Connor's head had Connor's attention. Turning, he felt his own eyes widen when he seen Cadence, and Jake. Jake was behind Cadence his hand on his forehead and his head shaking. Connor looked to Cadence expecting to see fury, or anger, but he didn't see either. He seen something honestly far worse. He seen resignation. She blinked a few times and then it was gone. She then raised her brow at the sudden squeal of excitement produced from his mother, who shot up out of her chair.

"Oh my, you must be Cadence! Joey has told me so much about you, and I must say you are more beautiful that I imagined." Isabeth gushed, hoping to ease over the hurtful suspicion of her oldest son.

Cadence smiled, raising her hand in greeting, but gasped as she suddenly found herself surround by who she assumed was Joey and the Alpha's mother's arms. "It's so great to finally meet you!" The woman pulled away, a huge, welcoming smile on her face and then her eyes suddenly widened. "Oh goodness, I'm Isabeth. I guess I should have introduced myself before. I'm Joey and Connor's mother. You don't know how thankful I am to you for helping my baby." Cadence heard Joey's embarrassed mutter about him not being a baby, but Isabeth seemed to ignore it and continue. "I have to admit as Joey told me the story, I was a bit dubious to it. But, now that I've seen you, I'm positive everything he said is true."

By the time Isabeth stopped talking, Cadence wasn't sure how to react. She wasn't expecting this reaction nor the warm welcome from Joey's mother. She was prepared for harsh words, such as the one's the Alpha had so callously thrown around. But, even hearing them, and even being unreasonably hurt by them, Cadence knew he only spoke the truth. She felt much the same as him. She couldn't trust him. But, the strangest part? She wanted to. She wanted to trust him, she wanted to open up, but she'd never done it or if she had she didn't remember.

"Come, come. I'm sure you're starving. You've been asleep for so long and with the fever I'm sure it didn't help." Isabeth ushered her to her seat, which Cadence was thankful to see it was next to Joey, but also near the Alpha.

Once Cadence was free of Isabeth, Joey took her place throwing his small arms around Cadence. Cadence couldn't help, but hug him back. She had missed him since he was sent from her room, and regretted how she'd spoken to him no matter how right she felt she was. "I missed you." Joey whispered, and Cadence had to close her eyes against the tears. They'd been apart a short time and he missed her. How was he going to feel when they were no longer able to see each other.

"I missed you too little one." Cadence's voice was thick with emotions, and she cleared her thoat as she pulled away. "Let's eat."