Chapter 18

"I can't let Ritsuka see me," Azuna blurts out when you open the door.

"Why? I'm sure she would be really happy to see you," you smile.

Azuna frowns, "I'm not actually alive." Azuna looks down at her wound through her chest. "I'm dead."

"I understand," you say and slowly close the door. "Maybe you can start over."

​​​​​​You place your hand against Azuna's chest. You close your eyes. You bottle up your magic into your hand. You open your eyes while purple lights swirl around Azuna. Your eyes become black. Red lights swirls into the purple, then blue, and green. You slowly move your hand away from her chest. The lights fade away to reveal Azuna. She now has red hair with gorgeous green eyes. She has on a beautiful purple dress. A little blue ribbons wraps itself around her hair into a ponytail. She also has shiny black shoes.

"Now you can become friends with her again," you say while your eyes go back to normal.

Azuna twirls around while smiling at her new look. "Thank you so much (Y/N)."

"I left your beauty mark, so you can have some part of you."

Azuna hugs you tightly. You feel your shoulder beginning to get wet. You hug her back and smile.

"We have to get ready for school," you smile.

"Of course," she smiles back.

"You have to leave your outfit on. If one thing gets removed, the spell will disappear," you explain. "I used up all my power, so it's pretty weak right now, so I wouldn't be able to fix it."

"What am I supposed to do?" she asks.

"Don't worry. I got this all under control."

You quickly put on your school uniform. You take Azuna's hand and run out the door. Azuna just can't wipe the smile from her lips. You know she's probably happy about seeing Ritsuka again. Azuna is the one pulling you forward instead of the other way around. Suddenly, she bumps into someone. You both look at the person. Shiki stares down at her.

"Well hello," Shiki smirks. "And who might you be."

"This is my... uh... friend from... uh... France," you spit out.

"Bonjour, Monsieur. Je m'appelle, Azuna," Azuna says. "Et toi?"

Shiki smiles, "Bonjour, mademoiselle. Je m'appelle Shiki."

Azuna bows, "Merci."

Shiki looks up at you and winks, making you blush a little. Who knew he could speak French? Shiki walks over to you.

"Are you ready for school?" he asks.

You nod and glance at Azuna in shock that she can speak French too. Shiki holds your hand.

​​​​​​"Nous allons à l'école," Shiki says to Azuna.

"Je te remercie," she smiles.

You all go to the school. Azuna kind of stays behind you and Shiki. Maybe she's starting to get a little nervous. You reach out your hand to her. Her eyes widen as she smiles. She slowly places her hand in yours. Her hands are so cold. Ice cold. Your heart sinks a little. You wonder if she can even physically feel anymore. You hold her hand tightly all the way to school.

When you all step through the door, all the girls swarm around Azuna.

"You're so pretty!" they scream.

Shiki quickly pulls you away from the crowd. The girls soon walk away once they get their eyes full. Azuna wobbles over to you.

"I've had this kind of attention," she whispers to you.

"I don't remember getting that kind of welcome either," you whisper back.

You both giggle silently. Soon, Ritsuka walks over. Her eyes immediately fall on Azuna. She scans her from head to toe.

"Are you new here?" she asks.

Azuna stares at Ritsuka. Her hands wrapping around each other. You notice her eyes a beginning to become watery.

"Bonjour. Je suis française." Azuna forces her tears back. "Je m'appelle, Azuna. Et toi?"

Ritsuka tilts her head in confusion. "Do you not speak English?"

"Je ne parle pas anglais," Azuna says while biting her lip.

Ritsuka still looks confused. She glances over at you and Shiki. Pleading with her eyes for someone to translate.

"She said 'Hello. I am French. My name is Azuna. And you?'" Shiki translates. "She also said 'I do not speak English'."

Ritsuka's eyes widen. "Azuna?"

Azuna's face saddens. Her body begins to shake. Ritsuka's soon joins in. Ritsuka's eyes begin to water. She quickly wipes her tears away.

"Sorry," she says with a little sad hiccup. "I used to have a friend named Azuna. She was killed by a vampire named Jek. All because she was protecting me."

Ritsuka forces a smile. Your heart begins to sink. Shiki holds your hand and pulls you over to him.

"We should give them some time to catch up," he whispers.

"But Ritsuka needs a translator," you quickly say.

"I'm sure they can figure it out," he smiles.

Shiki says your 'goodbyes' for you. He pulls away from them. He takes you to your classroom. The doors still as huge as ever. You wonder of that groundhog still has some extra room. Shiki puts his hands on both sides of you and leans against the wall. He leans in and kisses you softly.

"Don't over do it today," he whispers.

He pushes himself off the wall and walks away. You watch him until he turns the corner. You press your thumb against your lips. A smile forces itself across your face. You go into your classroom and sit at your usually desk. Ritsuka and Azuna walk in a little later.

"Excuse me," the teacher narrows her eyes suspiciously at Azuna. "Who are you?"

"Je ne parle pas anglais," Azuna's voice shivers a little.

"You must be am exchange student. Nice to meet you. Please sit down," the teacher smiles.

Azuna bows thankfully and Ritsuka takes her to their sits. Ritsuka sits in her usually seat while Azuna sits in front of you. Ritsuka and Azuna give each other a quick smile until they turn back around to pay attention to the teacher. You feel like you did alright with them. You did the right thing. You give yourself a little pat on the back, in your head.