Chapter 1 - Our little world

3.5 years after Tara's birth.
Location - Manhattan, New York

It was bliss.

The sound of waves lapping onto the shore, along with childish giggles and squeals. I rubbed my arms and dug my feet deeper into the sand, watching my baby play with her Daddy. Both of them stood at the shore - him holding her hand tightly, and each time a new wave would hit their feet, they would jump and squeal excitedly.

Manik's hand protectively held hers and even though he joined her excitement, anybody could note how careful he was, making sure she wouldn't slip out of his grasp, even as they bounced up and down.

I knew she was safer than anywhere else in the world with him...And so was I. As long as he was with us, nothing could harm us. Because he was our protective shield, and we were the only lucky ones to have that kind of protection around us.

''Mummy!! Come ..'' Tara looked back and shouted in her cute baby voice, gesturing me to join them by wiggling her little fingers.
''Haan, Nandini.. You're missing all the fun. Come na..'' Manik joined her.

I looked at both their pretend sad puppy-faces and smiled in resignation. I could never say No to them. As I walked towards them, the Daddy-Daughter duo smiled in glee and I laughed, observing how similar their smiles were - both had adorable dimples on their cheeks and were equally dramatic too.

Tara held out her free hand and I clasped that tiny palm within mine. All of us looked ahead and squealed together when a wave crashed on our feet just about then.

Sounds of carefree laughter echoed everywhere as we danced around hand in hand.

This was our little world, where we were the most content.

''I wish we bought our phones here..This moment should be captured.'' Manik said after a while, adoring me and Tara. He looked at us - our dark hair blowing onto our chubby cheeks, the joy reflecting in our similar doe-like eyes and smiled wide. It was his hobby now - clicking innumerable pictures of me and my baby. He wanted to replace each dark memory of his life with a beautiful one and I was obviously more than happy to comply.

''My phone is in the car.. Go get it na, Manik.'' I responded. I wanted to freeze this moment too. The lovely blue waters, golden sand and us would make for a perfect picture.

''Are you sure you will be able to handle Tara alone?'' He asked and I nodded immediately, trying to assure him. He hesitantly looked at both of us, and as he left Tara's hand, I felt a strange kind of fear descending upon me.

''Daddy will be back in a minute, princess..'' He told Tara, who had questioningly tilted her head towards him. As he ran off, I tightened my hold on my baby's wrist and felt very vulnerable.. The waves suddenly looked overwhelming and too huge.

''Yayyy.. Shee .. Big one!!'' Tara jumped, pointing towards a large wave approaching us rapidly.

''Come baby, lets go a little back and stand.. Chalo..'' I suddenly panicked and tried pulling her back, but she was way too excited and difficult to move because she simply refused to stand in one position. The huge wave crashed upon us and..

''TARAAAA!!'' I screamed.

I didn't even realise when my baby had slipped out of my grasp and was now being pulled back by the water. I waded through the water and watched her get smaller and smaller, her frantic screams dying as the distance between us grew.

---------------

I woke up with a start, beads of cold sweat falling down my forehead and fat tears rolling down my cheeks. I looked beside me, my heart thudding painfully against my chest. Manik lay on the pillow next to me and Tara's head was on one of his outstretched arms. Relief washed over me as I watched their peaceful faces, deep in sleep.

I bent over and kissed Tara's forehead, brushing back her tresses with my fingers and simply gazed at her, sniffing slowly. That frightening nightmare still had me shuddering and I wanted to look at my baby to my heart's content to assure myself she was okay.

''Nandini?''

I looked up. Manik had woken up, probably hearing me sniff and was now squinting at my face in the darkness. I wiped my eyes and shook my head ''Kuch nahi.. So jao.''

As if he would listen.

''Come next to me..'' He whispered, patting the space on his other side. I crawled to the little space and he pulled me close with his free hand, so that my face was just an inch away from his.

''Kya huwa?'' He asked, looking straight into my soggy eyes, as my face got illuminated by the moonlight shining in through the window opposite us.

''Manik.. I'm scared.'' I admitted. ''Come with me to India, please.''
It wasn't a request. I was begging him because I was desperate. And this nightmare had all been an outcome of the crawling fear in my heart.

''Tara and I need you.'' I probed, hoping that atleast the mention of his darling princess would move him.

''I can't go back, Nandini.'' The stubborn-head sighed and said exactly what I hated hearing ''Why don't you stay behind? Jaana zaroori nahi hai tumhara bhi.''

I chose not to respond and simply rested my head on his chest. We had been squabbling over the same topic since the last two days and I didn't want to argue again.

He understood my restlessness and dropped an affectionate kiss on my hair, immediately putting my heart at peace. I snuggled deeper into him.

Atleast, we were together.
And for now, all I knew was that our little world was safe.

-----------

A/N : Thank you all for joining me on this new journey with so much gusto. And another big thank you for making me hit 1K+ followers.

I know this update must have made a lot of questions come to mind, but it will all be cleared with the upcoming updates.

Cover credit - My ultimate sunshine - Alohomora0606 .. I love you and I honestly couldn't have a cuter Tara there 😂❤ Thank you so much.

Special mention to tatheer_rizvi for making me a lovely cover for MMM. I'll be putting it in the media box of the last chapter there, so do check it out. Thank you darling ❤️