Chapter 7 - Sharing a dreamland

Manik suddenly jerked, as if realising he'd forgotten he was supposed to be angry with me. I knew he would draw back now and I wasn't ready for his warmth to leave me so soon, despite my own anger.

''Tara kahan hai?'' I asked suddenly.

''Mukti ke paas.'' He paused and answered. He narrowed his eyes at me, giving me a 'I-know-what-you're-upto' look yet didn't move. I took the chance and snuggled closer. He didn't push me away nor did he pull me more; all he did was watch me carefully, studying my eyes like never before.

''MUMMYYYY!!!''

It was my baby's loud wail that bought us back to reality. I jerked and pushed Manik off myself. He looked disoriented for a second but registered the cry just the next moment and ran out along with me.

We reached outside only to see Tara crying in Mukti's arms right in the middle of the huge drawing room. People around were trying to console her with sweets and what not, but she just wouldn't stop.

''Kya huwa mere baby ko?!'' I asked loudly in concern, lifting my dress and rushing faster. As soon as people heard me, they turned in my direction and went silent, gaping at me and my husband. Tara herself stopped crying and widened her wet eyes looking at us.
After a moment, the sound of laughter erupted in the entire room. At first I was baffled, and it was only when I turned to look at Manik if anything made sense to him that I realised. There was haldi spread all over his face, neck and exposed part of chest with obvious marks of fingers making streaks through it. Manik seemed to realise the same and I immediately went beet red.

''Mummy..why ish that yello pashte on you and Daddy? Nanu shaid itsh only for Navaa and Cabil..'' Tara asked in confusion, her chubby cheeks still wet but the sorrow long forgotten.

''Baby, maybe your parents also want to marry once again along with us..'' Cabir said, wiping his eyes after laughing so hard while Tara kept staring at us, puzzled. Manik glared at him but how could he not take digs at us now. We had invited this.  ''I thought you guys were fighting..? Halat dekh kar toh lag raha hai scene kuch aur hi hai..'' He pointed at us, his voice trembling as he tried hard to fake serious-ness and I tried hiding behind Manik.

''Come, Tara..'' Manik said, holding out his hands and concentrating on the person whose cries dragged us here instead.

Tara immediately wrinkled her nose at us and wrapped her hands around Mukti tightly ''No.. You both ale dirty and shmell yucky. Yukkk..'' She didn't want her parents anymore and Mukti laughed at our sorry state. ''Uhm.. I think you guys should go get cleaned up first. Tab tak, I'll handle.''

We left unwillingly, both of us shooting daggers at each other.

As soon as we entered the bedroom again, Manik pointed his finger at me ''It all happened because of you.. Tum ne shuru kiya sab kuch.''

''Well.. Maybe if you weren't such a jerk to me, I wouldn't have done it.'' I countered, moving towards my suitcase to grab a towel. A servant entered just then, dragging a suitcase behind him and delivered it to Manik.

''Don't tell me you're staying with us.'' I said, sighing and narrowing my eyes at the suitcase.

''Well, after this little scene, Cabir probably thinks we've patched up and would love staying together.'' He stressed on 'love' with a watery smile and I huffed.

''Why don't you tell him the truth then?''

''Maybe..because.. I don't ..want to..?'' He spoke very slowly and my heartbeat quickened all of a sudden.

''You know I need to look after Tara.'' He added after a moment's pause and I wished I had something to throw at him right then. Jerk.

''I'm going to take a bat..''
Before I could complete, he overtook me and entered the bathroom himself, locking it shut behind him.