Chapter 2 - Leaving him

''Daddyyyy.. '' Tara tugged at Manik's vest, trying to wake him up.

''Come on baby, let's leave for the bus stop. We don't have time to waste..'' I approached her, hastily pulling on an overcoat.

''No. First, kissy and bye-bye from Daddy.'' Tara shook her head grumpily and crossed her arms across her chest.
It was almost like watching a mini version of myself when upset. She never left for her play-school until Manik gave her a kiss and said bye to her and she wasn't ready to give up on their self-created tradition either. Manik had completely spoilt her and was now sleeping like a log, blissfully unaware.

I sighed and poked his shoulders. ''Manik!!''

But the monster simply grumbled and turned to the opposite side. I glanced at Tara, who pouted even more looking at my unsuccessful attempts.

He usually always woke up on time to bid Tara good-bye, but I must have kept him awake last night. I knew he must have watched me sleep all night, wiped the dry tears on my face and cuddled me tight.. Because he just couldn't see me upset or in pain. And the irony was that he was the damned reason I was actually so upset.

''Manik!!'' I screamed louder, patting his cheeks hard next, panicking because we had just 5 minutes left.

''Kya hai yaar Nandini? Sone do na.. Raat bhar toh sone nahi diya..'' He mumbled in irritation and flapped his hands to push me away. ''I never even told you to stay awake..'' I retorted ''Anyways.. Bas ek kissy de do, phir you can sleep.''

Hearing that magic word, he immediately regained senses and before I could register what was happening, he had grabbed my hand, pulled me onto the bed and rolled on top of me. ''Sure Baby-girl.. Anything you say..'' He replied suavely.

I smacked his shoulders and pushed his face away just in the nick of time.. His lips had been barely inches away from mine. ''Manik, Our baby is here.. Kya kar rahe ho?!'' I chided him, trying to unsuccessfully push his well-built frame off me ''Kissy mujhe nahi, Tara ko chahiye!!''

Manik looked over his shoulders where his daughter stood, looking at both of us with so much of amusement, almost as if watching her favourite cartoon show. He then looked back at me, whispering ''Are you sure - tumhe nahi chahiye? You know..I don't mind giving both my princesses what they want.''

''Manik!!'' I exclaimed, blushing hard and he smiled knowingly at me. Even after so much time of being together, his kisses hadn't lost their staggering effect on me and neither did his charm. I was still as charmed by him as I was the first day I saw him.

He thankfully rolled off me and held out his arms ''Come Princess..''. Tara's face lit up and she happily pounced upon him. After giving a dose of his affectionate kisses on her chubby cheeks, Manik gently put her down.

I looked at the clock and sighed ''Its too late.. The bus must surely have left. Manik, go drop her now.. She got late only because of you. I have to leave for college anyways.''

''But Nandini, I am so sleepy.'' He pointed at the bags under his eyes and whined like a child. I shook my head at him.. Sometimes, he was no better than Tara.

''Let her take a leave today. I can't keep my eyes open'' He stated and plopped back on the bed. Tara was immediately encouraged by Manik's behavior and joined him in making excuses ''Mummy, I also want to do ninni.'' She got inside the blanket and placed her head on Manik's arm squeezing her eyes shut.

I had no choice but to give in to their mock-innocent faces. I had melted already but had to maintain a stern tone so that they wouldn't think they could get away with this all the time
''Fine. You guys do whatever you want, I'm leaving for college. Manik, just don't forget you have an album recording in the afternoon..''