Chapter 9 - Hot Chocolate

''How did she lose consciousness?'' The doctor asked, lifting Tara's eyelids and peering into them.

''How are we supposed to know? Doctor aap hai, aap batao kya huwa hai.. I need my daughter to wake up right now!'' Manik screamed, clearly getting frustated with the doctor's slow pace.

''No doctor, she has been drugged. Could be a Valerian overdose because the chocolate I found she was eating smelled really funky ..'' I spoke up. Valerian was a sleeping pill I knew Uncle Rajiv used to take, and I used to hate the smell of it.

''Nandini, yeh kya bol rahi ho?! Are you..'' I caught Manik's hand and stopped him from saying any more. I could have told him this on the way to the hospital but two shocked and panicked people wouldn't be of any help.

''Okay, she must have her stomach pumped immediately in this case. ''The doctor finally picked up speed, giving instructions to the nurses there and moving around while we moved back to give them way.

''Manik, she was drugged..'' I whispered atlast, tears streaming down my face ''Someone gave her a chocolate with a high dose of sleeping pill. I found the chocolate in her hand when she came there..''. Manik's face was contorted with shock, pain and anger.

''I will not spare whoever did this..'' He uttered, clenching his fist and breathing out flames as he looked at a tube being inserted through Tara's mouth to empty the contents of her stomach. I could not see this. I covered my eyes with my palm and stifled a sob.

Immediately I could feel two arms protectively pulling me close. Without thinking, I pushed my head into Manik's chest, my hands still folded infront of me. I needed all the strength not to break down and so did he.

------------

''Yeh sab kaise huwa? How is she now?!'' Navya rushed in, followed by Cabir and Uncle Rajiv. Towards the end of the event , when people couldn't see the three of us, they tried calling us but we had left our phones in the house itself. Cabir then found out from one of the security guards about us rushing out with Tara and he tracked the driver we had taken with us to know about our whereabouts.

''She's okay.. The doctor said she'll wake up any moment now.'' Manik responded in a low voice, one hand stroking his daughter's hair protectively. He was obviously boiling with anger on the inside but the news of her being out of danger had calmed him for the time being. I myself was furious this happened.

''But what was the reason?'' Uncle asked in concern, stepping forward to take a look. ''Are you sure you don't know?'' Manik suddenly replied and I widened my eyes threateningly. I knew he was very frustated and his hatred for Uncle was just adding onto his turmoil and it would be better if the two weren't infront of each other. Uncle seemed hurt at the indirect accusation, so I stood up ''Guys.. I think Tara won't be comfortable if she is crowded by so many people when she wakes up.. How about you guys head home and we'll see you there in a bit?''.

Understanding nods were shared and as everyone was leaving, a small voice squeaked from the corner ''I'm sorry Nandz, I didn't mean to let her go away from me.. I never realised when she slipped away.. I'm so sorry..''. I was still upset with Mukti's carelessness and so I just looked away. ''Mukti.. not now..'' Cabir thankfully said in a low voice and led her out.

-----------

''How did you know it was Valerian?'' Manik asked some time after everyone left, still sitting in the same position.

''I know the smell.''

He raised his eyebrows so I shrugged ''Uncle used to take those sleeping pills and they had a strong terrible smell..''