Chapter 6 - The 'hottie'

''Mummy.. Navaa aunty ish calling you!'' Tara tugged at my dress. I unwillingly placed my phone back on the dressing table, nodding at my daughter who looked absolutely adorable in her new white frock.

(Tara's outfit)

(Tara's outfit)

Navya and Cabir had rented a huge villa for their close friends and family to stay in during their wedding festivities and we had shifted just this morning. Tara's excitement knew no bounds - she was happy prancing around in pretty clothes and enjoying everyone's attention.

As I rushed out behind my baby, I glanced at my reflection one last time in the mirror and was pretty satisfied with what I saw - someone in a lovely yellow Indian dress with hair fashioned into a loose one-sided braid and face looking fresh and bright. Yes.. I was successfully looking the opposite of what I felt on the inside and it was loads of concealer that helped me hide the dark circles that resulted from a sleepless night and tons of stress. After recieving Manik's text last night, I was so excited that I couldn't get a wink of sleep. But that excitement was short-lived and stress soon took over. I didn't get any further message from him, informing me when he would arrive and where. I kept checking my phone, but in vain.

''Nandini..yahan..'' I looked up, hearing Navya's voice and saw her sitting on a raised platform amidst many ladies, looking ethereal in a white lehenga with a sheer yellow dupatta, preparing to get covered in haldi. I joined the ladies, feeling glad I could be with my best friend and share her moments of joy. She had been a constant in my life for the past few years.. She had been with me when I had a rough relationship with Manik and had taken care of me like family during my pregnancy. Tara went and sat right next to Navya, gaping at the on-goings in amusement.

After a while, three of Navya's cousins came running from outside, their faces all flushed and excited as they chattered in loud whispers, giggling all the while

After a while, three of Navya's cousins came running from outside, their faces all flushed and excited as they chattered in loud whispers, giggling all the while. I had been introduced to them just this morning, and they had taken an instant liking towards me.

''Nandini Di..'' One of the cousins, Shalini, came up and patted my shoulder. ''Since you're done with applying the haldi, You should come with us and see..''