Chapter 3 - Patching Up

''Manik.. Its your best-friend Cabir's wedding.. Aise kaise miss kar sakte ho? Tum bhi aao na..'' I pleaded, holding his neck gently and pulling his face closer.

''I can't.. Those memories..'' He squeezed his eyes shut and I instantly cupped his face, reminding him I was there, so that he wouldn't lose himself to the dark past. I couldn't see him hurting like that.

''How can you, Nandini?'' He suddenly asked me, opening his eyes and looking unbelievingly into mine like he could find all hidden answers there. ''You can forget those days you spent in trauma, being thrown out of your own house and our baby's death just for a wedding?''

My heart began sinking and I could share the pain his voice and eyes reflected. But I had no response.

How could I tell him it wasn't just for a wedding that I was going. I was going for Rajiv uncle. Because I wouldn't feel at peace until I met him.

I knew if I told him the truth, he would never come. Neither would he allow me to go.

He hated Rajiv uncle to no end.. For having put me through depression, throwing me out of the house and hurting me with his taunts time and again. And it wasn't going to be an easy task convincing Manik to forgive Uncle.

Flashback - 1 week ago

''Tara, enough baccha.. You have to eat dinner now.'' I stepped out of the washroom to see my baby still infront of the laptop. She had been skyping with her favourite Mukti aunt for the past hour, rambling away like always - about her friends and playschool. Manik was still away at work and me and Tara were home alone.

''Tell Mukti aunty bye now..'' I probed, moving towards her.

''Mummy.. One Uncle ish also there..'' She pointed at the screen and peered curiously into it.

''Who? Harshad?'' I laughed ''Did you forget him? You have seen him so many times already na baby..'' I stopped when I finally sat by her side and saw who it actually was.

Rajiv Uncle.

A gush of emotions ran through me. I hadn't seen him since the past 3 and a half years.. Not even when I skyped with Mukti, because she always closed her door, making sure that we wouldn't see each other.

Mukti gave me an apologetic look and explained ''He heard Tara's voice today and couldn't help..''

''Its okay..'' I stopped her, wiping a stray tear running down my cheek. No matter what had happened between us, I couldn't forget all the years he had taken care of me like a father. His eyes were filled with tears too and he gazed affectionately at Tara, a gentle smile on his face.

''Tara.'' I softly introduced and pointed towards her. He nodded ''I've seen her pictures on Mukti's laptop.. She's such a beautiful child.'' Seeing Tara, something in him had melted.. She probably reminded him of my own childhood.

''Say hello, baby. This is Nanu..'' I nudged her and she instantly waved her tiny hand ''Hello Nanu!'' He smiled and returned her hello.

''Nanu, come and play with me na.. Mummy only makesh me do homework and eat yucky veggies'' This naughty kid had begun her complaints and I knew it was only so she could get away without having her dinner.

''Accha?! So now you've forgotten who let you watch that Barbie movie today and gave you the big lollipop?'' I asked and began tickling her as punishment. ''No, no.. Sholly mummy.. '' She giggled and squirmed between my hands ''Nanu, I wash lying..She's a good mummy.. She lovesh me and I love her..'' I finally left her and she beamed, red in the face after that spontaneous laughter session.